Chasing wild geese in Big Rock Creek

TRs for the San Gabriel Mountains.
dima

Post by dima »

Before everything shut down, stonehillnews and I went up to the San Gabriel high country to beat the heat and to search for long-lost aircraft. We went up on Sat evening, and in case Little Jimmy was overrun, camped on the old, abandoned road below the ACH around there.

This (and most, actually) of the photos are from stonehillnews. I barely did any photographing on this trip.

I'm looking for the UC-78 that went down in 1944. It crash-landed on a bed of brush, and everyone survived, except the aircraft, which was written off. Very little specific information about the location is available, so we're following-up on wildly speculative theories. On this day we'd follow one of the branches of Big Rock Creek all the way up, to the PCT. Today much of the left side of this gully is brushy. However, in the 1952 (the year of the old aerials I found), much of it was forested, except the upper end, so that's where stuff would be found. If this is the right area, that is.

At the very bottom is a flagged-out trail that very quickly devolves to intermittent deer track. The climb is steep, but straightforward.

There's water at and below ~7800ft (labeled "White Fir spring" on the topos). More brush in the drainage itself near the top:

And there's a nice, grassy meadow almost all the way at the PCT

Alright, so there wasn't a lot of human-made stuff here, even the balloons were few and far between. Near the top (i.e. where we should be seeing stuff) I found this thing in the drainage

It's two sheets of metal foil, with some insulating fiberglass between. And with some stitching to hold the sandwich together. I've seen similar things before in parts that needed thermal insulation, like near the engine or the exhaust manifolds. And a bit above that was this thing

I was excited, but stonehillnews was skeptical, and I'm thinking that he's probably right: this is PROBABLY a backpacker's plate.

We looked around for a while both in the drainage (above and below) and in the surrounding manzanita/whitethorn beds. Nothing. I want to say that if the crash site were here, we'd be finding more stuff. But we weren't. Yet we did find SOME stuff. So... has anybody seen any old backpacking equipment that used the metal foil/fiberglass construction for anything? Could this be a firefighting something? Was fiberglass even available as a material in the 1940s? Also, what was the state of the PCT in 1944? I imagine the trail existed already, right?

We popped out just West of the Hawkins ridge junction to this cool view straight ahead.

To the right was a more unfortunate view:

We stared at it with binoculars for a while. Saw the flames climbing up, out of the Cogswell dam area. And saw the tiny airplanes drop retardant. Eventually we turned back, and drove out. There was a CHP road block at Islip Saddle, so we got out via Wrightwood. stonehillnews: anything to add?
Sean

Post by Sean »

I've been up that gully too. Didn't find anything special.

By 1944 the trails up there were very well established. You could climb out of Crystal Lake on Windy Gap and then hit the crest trail like today. There was also a trail to Lily Spring.
stonehillnews

Post by stonehillnews »

Only thing I’d add is that in the most promising areas, the thorn bushes were extremely dense, so we could have been right on top of it and missed it. With basic analysis of available clues, including the accident report and maps, there are plenty of contradictions.
dima

Post by dima »

Replying to this to avoid talking about the fire. I'm thinking this isn't the right airplane, and probably not an airplane at all: there would have been more breadcrumbs. But then what is that stitched thermal insulation thing? Any non-aviation-related theories?
Sean

Post by Sean »

dima wrote: But then what is that stitched thermal insulation thing? Any non-aviation-related theories?
Maybe one of those sunscreens, like the type you place in your car window when you park?
dima

Post by dima »

Jeremiah had a really good idea. It could be one of these: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fire_shelter