Towsley View Loop

Archived TRs for ranges in California.
Sean

Post by Sean »

Willie and I hiked the Towsley View Loop from Ed Davis Park in the Santa Susanas.

The sign said 5.1 miles.

But I clocked it at 5.5 miles. We started from the free parking lot instead of the fee lot at the picnic area. Maybe that makes a difference.

I wasn't familiar with the area at all. So I got to say things like, "I think this is the right trail," and "Maybe we're lost." I don't get to say such things very often anymore, so I take advantage when I can.

I insisted on doing the loop counterclockwise, because I had read that it was the easier direction. First we went up Towsley Canyon on a road, passing the picnic area.

The road became a double-track before becoming a single-track through the rocky narrows, where we climbed up to a cave feature.

Some more rock stuff...

The narrows ended too soon. But Willie enjoyed the trailside tar seeps while I struggled up the switchbacks.

We hit the ridgeline and started dropping down the other side.

The map showed a couple side trails to vista points, but somehow we completely missed them. At an unsigned trail junction, I chatted up some runners to make sure we were still on the right track. The descent into Wiley Canyon was a bit on the steep side, and I was glad we didn't come up that way.

I recommend this popular loop for the rock formations in the narrows section of Towsley Canyon and the bubbling tar pit in Wiley Canyon.

HikeUp

Post by HikeUp »

That's pretty cool.

BTW, did you notice this...
1.jpg
Sean

Post by Sean »

Oh, damn, is that a Bigfoot print? I've gotta start paying more attention.