Skyline Trail to San Jacinto: night hike?

Discuss SoCal ranges other than the San Gabriels.
kristo5747

Post by kristo5747 »

Hello.

I am planning to do Skyline Trail to San Jacinto this summer.

Given what I read, the hike is gnarly 1) because of the elevation (10K feet) and 2) the desert heat.

Based on your own experience, would you attempt it at night? I am thinking of an early start around 4am...maybe even sooner.

Any comment, experience welcome. Thanks.

Al.
lilbitmo

Post by lilbitmo »

It's super draining in the heat, there's very little areas below 6,000 for shade, I would suggest if you are heat sensitive like I am to go even sooner - even at night it's fairly hot hike. Might try doing Skyline (the part that goes from desert floor to Tram) once before doing the Cactus to Clouds (whole mountain) hike and do it in spring before the real heat comes along. Do not underestimate the amount of water needed, there's none between the desert floor and the tram (there's two emergency boxes) but they get used by individuals that underestimate the hike and you cannot count on them.

A full moon hike with someone that knows the trail would be highly recommended with super early start - you'll be glad you did.

Have fun :D
kristo5747

Post by kristo5747 »

Sweet, thx for your reply.
:-)
I was thinking of carrying over 4 liters of water with me. Do you think that would be sufficient?
lilbitmo

Post by lilbitmo »

kristo5747 wrote: Sweet, thx for your reply.
:-)
I was thinking of carrying over 4 liters of water with me. Do you think that would be sufficient?
Depends on how much you consume on warm/hot days. Use Bear Flat as a reference it's not as steep & not as hot on a given day what you use there can be rough guide add at least one more liter plus a safety amount to be sure.
666-The Beast

Post by 666-The Beast »

kristo5747 wrote: Hello.

I am planning to do Skyline Trail to San Jacinto this summer.
This statement scares ta hell out of me! uuhhhum, here comes trouble!

So, it would help a lot if you come forth with some personal info about ya so we can tailor our sage replies to fit your needs better.
Are you a: child40; gizzer>70. Your athletic endeavors fall in: slug- too many rests, heat, the millage burn you out. Turtle- move along even when its not fun,then after 5miles its all over! your desire to go on is more than your body can handle. Rabbit- you think you are the best until you burnout after a fast start and then you go on the turtle mode for the rest of trip.....

As a starter, do this hike: the old mount wilson trl from Sierra Madre. Pick a warm day and a bit of a late start and see if you can go to the top and back. Drink a litter and carry 3 and we will see!!!!
Prepare yourself on the med and beyond treks and eventually you will be ready for the 10 hr trek to the top?!.......... 666