20080107 Alpine Canyon - Pigeon Ridge

TRs for the San Gabriel Mountains.
Taco

Post by Taco »

This was my second attempt to climb South Mount Hawkins from the south (R39), via Alpine Canyon. I ended up topping out on Pigeon Ridge, on the major firebreak which leads to the summit, and turned back when I reached this point around 1350, as I didn't want to head home at night here, since I had not been over that ground previously. Plus, I'm going to be busy tomorrow, so it's not like anything will be missed.

Here's the page for Alpine Canyon: http://www.summitpost.org/route/341466/ ... anyon.html

From the road, there was nice wet snow all day. Moving up the burn zone on a ridge handrailing/parallel to Alpine Canyon was interesting. It was easy bushwhacking until you reach the base of Pigeon ridge, where it becomes a major PITA. All the burned trees hold your pack back and sometimes offer something to hold on to. Buckthorn everywhere. Fun times. Looked back before reaching the crest of Pigeon Ridge, and saw folks following my path for whatever reason. There ain't exactly a helluva lot to see up here unless you want to climb SM Hawkins.

The ridge up to Hawkins looked nice and easy, but by my estimates, I'd end up going down at night, which I didn't want to try.

Pictures:
Smith Mountain from the parking area. Lotsa folks parked here today...

South Mt Hawkins

Rockbound Canyon, a goal of mine for the past 7 months or so. Just wanna check the place out. Lotsa really cool looking cliffs.

Islip completely covered in snow. So beautiful.

Bigass hole in a tree.

My leg. Was overheating due to wearing new (used, $40 bucks) Arc'teryx softshell, wool top, polypro pants, and nylon pants, so I remove all but the pants and went redneck style, and rolled the pants up. Was nice and cool, if a bit reflective due to not wearing a shirt and being Irish/Slavic. Black marks from burned down trees, and scratches from endless Bukcthorn (or Buckhorn?).

Neato rocks either near Alpine Canyon, or Rockbound Canyon.

Atop Pigeon Ridge

Rattlesnake Peak on the left, and Peak 5021 (Doe Peak) on the right

Twin Peaks and Triplet Rocks busy looking awesome.

Baldy

Lower part of Pigeon Ridge

Looking back at my truck

Bill 9mm is an idiot.

Smith Mountain East Face

Video up later.

My Salomon XA Pro 3D GTX etc etc shoes did fantastic. I had a pair of the non-Goretex ones.... huge improvement in general life with GTX, as they aren't made of mesh.
AW~

Post by AW~ »

Thanks for the photos, another fine day for our local mountains...and of course a mention of Triplet Rocks...thanks for reminding me, can you imagine the views from that place on a day like today?
Taco

Post by Taco »

I cannot... must be insane...

Someday I'll grow enough nuts to go up there... with a partner and a larger rock rack than I have at the mo'. 8)
He219

Post by He219 »

Awesome pic Taco!
:D
Augie

Post by Augie »

Great picture gallery TDR; just awesome, especially that one of Twin Peaks and Triplet Rocks. Your pics shout "the San Gabriels rock!"
Taco

Post by Taco »

These should suck compared to what I'll hopefully get before next Monday!

Thanks guys!