San Bernardino Peak overnight 6-7 June

Discuss SoCal ranges other than the San Gabriels.
simonov

Post by simonov »

If anyone is interested, I have posted with the OCHBC an overnight backpacking trip to San Bernardino Peak in the San Gorgonio Wilderness. I'll be staying at Limber Pine Bench, in my opinion the finest trail camp site in the Wilderness Area.

Details here.

I think you have to be an OCHB member to see those details, but that's not a big deal, it's free and easy to join.

Last year we all got drunk and had a really great time!

Hard limit of 12 people on the Wilderness permit. If you sign up and later decide not to go, please make sure you change your RSVP, to make room for others.
Nunc est bibendum
Rumpled

Post by Rumpled »

I'll tag this for future interest and to check my calendar.
Looks like Simonov is one tall dude.
simonov

Post by simonov »

Rumpled wrote:Looks like Simonov is one tall dude.
I'm handy to have around during lightning storms.
Nunc est bibendum
Rumpled

Post by Rumpled »

Well, I forgot to check if I was available those days.
How'd it go?
Trip report?
simonov

Post by simonov »

Rumpled wrote:Well, I forgot to check if I was available those days.
How'd it go?
Trip report?
Despite the threat of scary weather, it went very well.

Photoblog.
Nunc est bibendum
Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

Nice pics. Looks like a good trip.

Nice to see the trail crew guys out cutting back the manzanita. Looks like the trail crew re-bolted the sign at Manzanita Springs. The sign for the trail down to Johns Meadow was hanging by one bolt for a time.

Are you sure you can't camp at Columbine Spring? The permit application still lists it http://www.sgwa.org/Permit_Overnight.pdf

Nice plaque at Washington's Monument. Wonder when they put that in? Either I've been blind or it's pretty new. It looks pretty new in the photo.
Rumpled

Post by Rumpled »

Looks like a good trip.
I commented on the survey mark pictures.

I'm reading (actually listening) to Crazy for the Storm by Norman Olstead who crashed in a plane on Ontario Peak. It was like 1979 and he was 11 and I think the only survivor - I haven't gotten that far yet.
Makes me curious ot go see the site.
simonov

Post by simonov »

Rumpled wrote:Looks like a good trip.
I commented on the survey mark pictures.
I saw that. I meant to ask here about those fires near the monument. They appear to be relatively recent.
I'm reading (actually listening) to Crazy for the Storm by Norman Olstead who crashed in a plane on Ontario Peak. It was like 1979 and he was 11 and I think the only survivor - I haven't gotten that far yet.
Makes me curious ot go see the site.
Are you reading Men's Journal Magazine? I got a Flickr mail message in April from an editor of Men's Journal Magazine who wanted to use one of my photos of Ontario Peak for an article they were doing on that plane crash. They ended up not using it, I guess.

http://www.mensjournal.com/crazy-for-the-storm
Nunc est bibendum
Rumpled

Post by Rumpled »

I'm actually listening to the whole book from Audible. This morning I just got to the part where that Men's Journal excerpt endedm. For only being 11; his Dad sure did have him do a lot!