google search results

Comments & questions about this site.
edenooch

Post by edenooch »

If your like me your to lazy to remember URL's and use google to find everything. When im not at home i use it to find sites. Such as this forum.
How come when you search for "san gabriel mountain forums" all that comes up is a link to Tacodelrio's bloody knee caps?
In 2 pages of search results. not one direct link to the forums!
WTF? :lol: :wink: :twisted: :oops:
Ze Hiker

Post by Ze Hiker »

yea i've noticed that. weird
Taco

Post by Taco »

Searching "SGMDF" yields slightly better results.
Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

Yeah, this board is obscure or something. I can never find it on Google.

I always search on "San Jacinto Mountains Forum." The San Jacinto Mountains Forum comes up, and they have a section with links, one of which is to this forum. Kinda lame, but it works.
Taco

Post by Taco »

Probably because of our "myfreeforum" designator.

I do intend to change that in the not-so-distant future.
moppychris

Post by moppychris »

thank you for all of your kindness taco!
Funyan005

Post by Funyan005 »

Whats the cost to get something that will come up on google easily? Might attract more people here!
Taco

Post by Taco »

Having a real website/URL would take care of that. SanGabrielMountains dot com or something to that order.

I have a different idea as far as where this forum is going in the future, so it will be easy to search for in Google. As far as I know, though, the more people link to this forum, the faster Google finds it, and thus places it on earlier pages.
Ze Hiker

Post by Ze Hiker »

yeah but I've linked to it a bunch and still its nowhere to be found. I wonder if we could temporarily put it / host it on the socalhikes site.

For now, we search we get Taco's damn summitpost profile!
Taco

Post by Taco »

wrote:yeah but I've linked to it a bunch and still its nowhere to be found. I wonder if we could temporarily put it / host it on the socalhikes site.

For now, we search we get Taco's damn summitpost profile!
Same thing I do! :lol:
Rob

Post by Rob »

Domain Name: SANGABRIELMOUNTAINS.COM
Registrar: MONIKER

Registrant [6504]:
Jeremy Moritz jeremy@citiesunlimited.com
Cities Unlimited Inc.
PO Box 2474
Mission
KS
US
Rob

Post by Rob »

sgmdf.com is available!
platypii

Post by platypii »

sangabrielmountains.net is available. (like rob said, .com is not)

When I followed the "Buy a domain to use with your forum" link at the bottom, they listed it as $15/yr for most domain names.

I'd be happy to donate a year or two's worth of domain name if there is some consensus on what site to buy.

So what do people think?

sangabrielmountains.net
sangabrielmtns.com
sgmdf.com
willclimbfortacos.org
lilbitmo

Post by lilbitmo »

platypii wrote:sangabrielmountains.net is available. (like rob said, .com is not)

When I followed the "Buy a domain to use with your forum" link at the bottom, they listed it as $15/yr for most domain names.

I'd be happy to donate a year or two's worth of domain name if there is some consensus on what site to buy.

So what do people think?

sangabrielmountains.net
sangabrielmtns.com
sgmdf.com
willclimbfortacos.org
I vote sangabrielmtns.com and if you can get that company to allow us I'll use a credit card to donate $15 for one year? :D

Taco, let's get a vote going and then figure a way to pay for 3-5 years?
Taco

Post by Taco »

Arright.

I'll go ahead and throw my idea out there. I want to make a site for SoCal mountains. All of them. User submitted data. Like Summitpost, but personal.

I have no idea how to make a website. I've not yet taken any classes on it.
Rob

Post by Rob »

platypii wrote: they listed it as $15/yr for most domain names.
Domain registration might be cheaper using GoDaddy.com.
platypii

Post by platypii »

Well if you want to upgrade the forum too, you'll probably need more than just the domain name. You'll need a hosting service, and you need to figure out what bulletin board software to use.

I think summitpost uses their own custom software. It would require a lot of work and knowledge to build a site like that from scratch.

Drupal is worth considering. Drupal is a very very powerful content management system, but is relatively easy to set up. Since it is pretty popular, there is a good amount of support on the web for it. Depending on which features you use with it, it can be a message board, blog, forum, wiki and more.

Do you have an idea of what you would want the site to look like? what features?

Anyway, my offer is still on the table to buy a domain name for the site. It can just be pointed at this forum until you upgrade. What domain would you like best? Could we do a poll of some sort?
Taco

Post by Taco »

phpBB is pretty good. This site uses it. The full version has a few really good features, like the user control panel.

I was thinking socalmountains dot com or net etc, covering the San Gabriel, San Bernardino, San Jacinto, and all other ranges here.
Taco

Post by Taco »

Nevermind, it appears that address already exists. Seems to be a residential forum more than anything having to do with mountain activities.
HikeUp

Post by HikeUp »

www . fightoff . com
AlanK

Post by AlanK »

HikeUp wrote:www . fightoff . com
I think that url got banned from the Internet.
lilbitmo

Post by lilbitmo »

AlanK wrote:
Just for using that referce "Hike Up" might get sanctioned by Taco :idea: :wink:
AlanK

Post by AlanK »

lilbitmo wrote:
AlanK wrote:
Just for using that referce "Hike Up" might get sanctioned by Taco :idea: :wink:
Sounds serious. This being a mountaineering board, I assume that you mean "sanction" as in "The Eiger Sanction."
lilbitmo

Post by lilbitmo »

AlanK wrote:
lilbitmo wrote:
AlanK wrote: I think that url got banned from the Internet.
Sounds serious. This being a mountaineering board, I assume that you mean "sanction" as in "The Eiger Sanction."
One thing for sure on this board "nothing is sacred, and nothing is serious" other than "seriously man" you came close to that mountian top as in "The Near 100 Peaks Sections" founded by Taco and company, thus the NHPS and yes "The Eiger Sanction" is on the list :lol:
Now if this doesn't confuse the new member nothing will :D

But I still think Taco will consider "Sanctions" for using any reference to people he had to ban - (OK maybe he will just laugh) :wink: Taco's out looking for said "Ban- E" right now on the Bear Flat Trail - but does any really know what he actually looks like - no one ever posted a picture of him, so I'm wondering at this point if he's snuck back on this site as someone else :?: But then again it's been way to coopertive lately for that to actually have occured :shock:
Ze Hiker

Post by Ze Hiker »

I know what he looks like, among other info. But I wouldn't want him to threaten to sue me! You wouldn't do that, would you FO?
lilbitmo

Post by lilbitmo »

wrote:I know what he looks like, among other info. But I wouldn't want him to threaten to sue me! You wouldn't do that, would you FO?
There's many a way to descreatly post pictures of someone - like on You Tube and other's, what say you?
Taco

Post by Taco »

A few of us know what he looks like, amongst other things. He's just pissing in the wind with each word he types, anyway.

On the subject, I guess I hafta take an HTML class or something? What do you guys do to build up a real good site from the ground up?

FWIW, the forum will be the brain/nucleus of the new site, with various peak, route, trail, activity pages branching away from it.
edenooch

Post by edenooch »

yall are taking the wrong approach
SGMDF.edu
EnFuego

Post by EnFuego »

edenooch wrote:yall are taking the wrong approach
SGMDF.edu
There's no educatin' SGMDF'rs. :shock:
edenooch

Post by edenooch »

o yea.....good point