Miners camp

TRs for the San Gabriel Mountains.
Tom.Kane

Post by Tom.Kane »

Took a stroll from the Baldy notch road down the backside towards Lytle creek about 2 miles where there are several miners platforms, I'm guessing, 6 or 7 in all perfectly flat and supported by rock walls overgrown with manzanita but still visible if you look around. I was reading about the Baldy mines in John Robinson's The - San Gabriel's - and believed that I was at the "Miners Camp" which was described as being just below the notch. This site is on the North side and is farther down so I'm not sure.
A bit farther down the road I dropped off a spur down to Coldwater canyon Road - above the yellow post site where the off roaders camp, and over to another area where I think there was some more mining activity goin on. There are some old roads in here almost completely filled in with pine cones and needles but clearly visible, also found a small structure of some point that was roofed and had a tile floor, maybe a guard station or something, any info about this area would be great!
Good ol Ch 4, I walked right past the lift and down the road from here.
Good ol Ch 4, I walked right past the lift and down the road from here.
some of these support wall have collapsed
some of these support wall have collapsed
These guys stacked many rocks to make these platforms and make excellent campsites
These guys stacked many rocks to make these platforms and make excellent campsites
1.9 miles down from the Notch and behind the switchback - these is even some water flowing back here
1.9 miles down from the Notch and behind the switchback - these is even some water flowing back here
Jeepers cannot reach this almost filled in rd as it is beyond a large fallen tree and is not that easily seen.<br/>I was only able to locate it due to snowboarding down from Ch3 trying to find my way back to the Notch rd. If there is enough snow of course.
Jeepers cannot reach this almost filled in rd as it is beyond a large fallen tree and is not that easily seen.
I was only able to locate it due to snowboarding down from Ch3 trying to find my way back to the Notch rd. If there is enough snow of course.
Old structure of some sort, it had a roof with room for one or two people inside at most.
Old structure of some sort, it had a roof with room for one or two people inside at most.
This old road leads down into Coldwater canyon looking up at Telegraph peak and the saddle between Tele and Thunder.
This old road leads down into Coldwater canyon looking up at Telegraph peak and the saddle between Tele and Thunder.
Sean
Cucamonga

Post by Sean »

When I scrambled up Coldwater Canyon several years ago, I noticed this old road but did not follow it. Thanks for checking it out and reporting!
Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

Don't have any further info, but a pretty cool find.

HJ
dima

Post by dima »

The internet talks about the "Blue Diamond Mine": https://www.mindat.org/loc-88150.html

And the aerials show it on an old dirt road. Is that the one you were on?
Taco

Post by Taco »

I've always wondered about that road. Cool. I've been up in upper Coldwater canyon a buncha times and was always too lazy to go further down.
Tom.Kane

Post by Tom.Kane »

dima wrote: The internet talks about the "Blue Diamond Mine": https://www.mindat.org/loc-88150.html

And the aerials show it on an old dirt road. Is that the one you were on?
No but it's very close, just downslope to the east from the Blue Diamond Mine Icon on the mindat.org site, in fact they may connect...Thank you!