Cedar Glen

TRs for the San Gabriel Mountains.
JeffH

Post by JeffH »

Covid really wiped me out, two weeks barely moving at home and nearly a month afterward I still walk slow everywhere. Since I have a permit for some Sierra hiking in three weeks I needed to get in some training and this is an easy way to get some of that. Departed my house late Saturday afternoon and on the way remembered that I didn't pack any eating implement so I stopped at Wendys to get a Frosty, which came with a spoon. Yum, strawberry. I don't know how long it's been since I was on this trail, it's mostly still pretty nice. The late afternoon shadows were nice in the trees, especially when I turned onto the Chapman trail. I was surprised to see a little bit of water flowing in the tiny stream below Cedar Glen, although I had already filled up from the creek in Icehouse. Only one other tent was parked there, maybe not surprising considering that the next day was Father's Day. I managed to get the tent up, pad inflated and sleep stuff unpacked before dark and had a meal of beans and rice along with some Del Taco Inferno sauce. I heard what sounded like footsteps once during the night but didn't see any evidence of critters in the morning. On the hike out I had to stop and wait for about a hundred uphill hikers, which of course gave me an opportunity to work on my social skills. Altogether another great day in the San Gabes.

Pics...

Trailhead. New sign reminding folks to pack it out.
51B15B01-7DD0-45FE-8A64-5B90FC23B831.jpeg

Junction.
IMG_9276.jpg

It was a fabulous afternoon, clear blue sky and great view up toward Icehouse Saddle.
C7ACC779-4FA2-4548-8B76-70686D4D6490.jpeg

Almost sunset on Sunset Peak.
FCE1C15D-5AB8-4723-8E7B-8426B442E150.jpeg

The sunny side of the canyon, getting toward last light.
25D609DC-0A0D-4AFC-8791-A93C9C07473E.jpeg

Water flowing. It was about 2-3 inches deep in places and some little trickles, enough to get a short bottle in.
3681A778-7719-4E7D-9B1A-B805C7C1F069.jpeg

Campsite. The Notch is just too wide to pitch in the upper spots.
43696F73-B73E-4103-AB4E-FB013A53137B.jpeg

In all the time I have visited, I never saw this little sign near the helicopter pad.
0842CE7E-D3AF-4FFD-8FB6-F3736469E0C6.jpeg

I left no trace.
825726D2-17FE-4142-B752-B8404A2375BF.jpeg
"Argue for your limitations and sure enough they're yours".
Donald Shimoda
Sean

Post by Sean »

Glad to see you're up and about. Thanks for the report.
Uncle Rico

Post by Uncle Rico »

Jeff, how did you settle on the Notch v. the Rainbow?
tekewin

Post by tekewin »

Bummer on the covid. It can take a long time to get back to 100%.

I've never been up that trail, must fix some day.

How was the strawberry frosty? I was not impressed with vanilla.
Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

That little creek below Cedar Glen is surprisingly reliable -- although I don't know for how much longer given the drought.

Great to see you up and around. You must be doing pretty well if you schlepped a backpack up to Cedar Glen! Hang in there. I have another friend who has "long" Covid. She's coming around but slowly.

Nice Notch. I have a Stratospire I and a Stratospire II which have some similarity to the Notch. They do have big foot prints though, don't they? Comfy as heck, and really light given their size. Way more comfy than my minimalist Yama Mountain Gear Cirriform DW -- but the Cirriform is only about a pound and a quarter, including stakes, and packs down really small.

HJ
JeffH

Post by JeffH »

Uncle Rico wrote: Jeff, how did you settle on the Notch v. the Rainbow?
I liked the idea of no poles to carry except for my hiking sticks. Part of it was availability, used marketplace this was about half price of new.
Donald Shimoda
JeffH

Post by JeffH »

Hikin_Jim wrote: That little creek below Cedar Glen is surprisingly reliable -- although I don't know for how much longer given the drought.

Great to see you up and around. You must be doing pretty well if you schlepped a backpack up to Cedar Glen! Hang in there. I have another friend who has "long" Covid. She's coming around but slowly.

Nice Notch. I have a Stratospire I and a Stratospire II which have some similarity to the Notch. They do have big foot prints though, don't they? Comfy as heck, and really light given their size. Way more comfy than my minimalist Yama Mountain Gear Cirriform DW -- but the Cirriform is only about a pound and a quarter, including stakes, and packs down really small.

HJ
I was surprised to see it flowing, last time I was here it was barely a trickle. I could hear it under the sticker bushes but didn't see movement.
Donald Shimoda