Gold Canyon Trail Restored!

TRs for the San Gabriel Mountains.
Sean
Cucamonga

Post by Sean »

The Gold Canyon Trail runs from the mouth of Gold Canyon in Big Tujunga up to the Yerba Buena Road (3N30.1) above Sunland. Until recently it had been out of commission since the Station Fire, due to extensive damage and thick re-growth over the years of abandonment. Last year Kristin Sabo and a few helpers started restoring the path where it leaves the creekbed and climbs to the ridge road. They installed the final fixtures this month, and the trail is officially back in business. The route along the creek, however, hasn't been restored, but this part is an easy scramble with minimal rock-hopping and a few flags to guide you.

The biggest problem is getting to the trail from Big Tujunga Road, as a property owner has blocked the original access point. For now you can reach the route by dropping in at mile marker 1.38, just beyond the bridge, which is what Cecelia and I did yesterday.

DSC07497.JPG

DSC07498.JPG

Park by the mile marker sign and take the steep use path down the drainage area. You'll probably find a bunch of trash here. But once you reach the bottom, away from the road, it'll get nicer. Turn right to head down Big T and pass under the bridge. Follow the river bank path and flags about a quarter-mile to a gully coming in from the right. This is Gold Canyon and the beginning of the old trail. Cross the creekbed and go up this canyon, turning right and leaving Big T behind.

DSC07502.JPG

Most overhead branches have been cleared, so it should be a pleasant creek scramble. Right now the water is low, but still flowing. It might dry up in the summer.

DSC07509.JPG

Once you enter Gold Canyon, there is a split about six-tenths of a mile up. Stay to the left as the main courseway turns westward. Eventually the water disappears and you should then follow the sandy bottom as much as possible.

DSC07517.JPG

If you do this hike now you'll find an amazing assortment of flowers, as they are all over the canyon and trail. Also, an earthquake fault runs through this area, so there are some cool rocks and cliff features to see.

DSC07635.JPG

DSC07519.JPG

After turning westward continue for another three-quarters of a mile to the restored portion of the trail that leaves the wash. This is on the left (south) bank under some oaks and can be difficult to spot from the other side of the wash. Look for cairns in the creekbed that indicate the location.

DSC07525.JPG

Also, as you approach the area, you might spot a solo pine tree on the left side of the wash.

DSC07523.JPG

The restored trail is just beyond this tree and looks like this.

DSC07527.JPG

From this point it is about two miles of climbing up to the road. The trailbed is wide for horses but it is already overgrown in parts with small flowers and grasses. These upper sections were worked months ago, and the plants are enjoying the relatively unbeaten path.

DSC07616.JPG

The lower sections were the last to be restored and are still clear of vegetation.

DSC07627_stitch.jpg

As you climb higher the views of Mendenhall Ridge and white cliffs become more and more impressive. The cliffs were formed by the active faultline at the head of Gold Canyon.

DSC07622_stitch.jpg

For the mine hunters, there is a small test dig along the trail.

DSC07561.JPG

There used to be a mine near the bottom of Gold Canyon but I am told it was dynamited closed.

The trail was absolutely exploding with flowers.

DSC07581.JPG

At the junction with the Yerba Buena Road, Kristen has installed new signage for all you sign hunters.

DSC07576.JPG

Note that this junction is higher up the road than it appears on the old 1995 topo, as a landslide forced the Forest Service to reroute the upper section.

We then turned left and followed the road upward for about a mile, topping out at the Yerba Buena Ridge's southern highpoint.

DSC07588.JPG

DSC07593.JPG

As we reached the summit area, there was a small rise on the left side of the road, which is the highpoint (3892'). There was a small cairn on the summit, and a wildlife water station on the north slope.

There was also a water tank a little further along the road.

DSC07606.JPG

Here's the view of the highpoint looking east from the water tank.

DSC07598.JPG

We sat on the tank enjoying views of the city while eating lunch. Cecelia did jumping jacks to stay warm, and I walked westward to another summit bump (3839'), but there was nothing on this one except a better view into Little Tujunga and points westward.

We then packed up and headed back the way we came.
David R
OG of the SG

Post by David R »

I recognize this hike except there were lots of signs saying closed, don't you dare take this trail when I hiked it. ? Was the Jesus honey still on the summit?
maxmapper

Post by maxmapper »

solo pine tree
fir :)
Sean
Cucamonga

Post by Sean »

I did not see any Jesus honey but it sounds delicious.
Sean
Cucamonga

Post by Sean »

maxmapper wrote:
solo pine tree
fir :)
I think it's confusing how firs are part of the pine family, and then there are also pines which are a subfamily of the pine family.
Sean
Cucamonga

Post by Sean »

David R wrote: I recognize this hike except there were lots of signs saying closed, don't you dare take this trail when I hiked it. ?
Yeah, I didn't put them up, but the closed signs are for normies who don't know what they're doing. There are only two closed signs now on old segments that couldn't be restored and had to be rerouted.
Girl Hiker

Post by Girl Hiker »

An explosion of flowers. I was in love with this trail.
20220428_162706.jpg
20220428_162537.jpg
20220428_094143.jpg
20220428_142816.jpg
20220428_141204.jpg
20220428_110949.jpg
20220428_105214.jpg
20220428_104930.jpg
20220428_103803.jpg
20220428_103205.jpg