Upper Eaton Canyon

TRs for the San Gabriel Mountains.
dima

Post by dima »

I went to Upper Eaton canyon today. The plan was to start at Eaton Saddle, drop in around the tunnel, and walk around. For some reason, Red Box rd was closed, so I started at Red Box instead, and walked the road, for an additional ~2.5 miles each way. Whatever. It was threatening to rain all day, and near the top, everything was covered in this cool mist

Further down it cleared up, and it's a boulder hop in a sometimes dramatic canyon

The one obstacle is this waterfall. I climbed (up and down) the slope on the right. But there's a faint bypass trail that goes around wider.

Lots of trash here. Near the top there's road debris. Plastic and metal beverage containers pepper the canyon. And there are lots of baloons. Last time I was here (there's a trip report that I'm too lazy to find) we found a cluster of something like 3 balloons stuck in a tree that we then spent way too long pulling down. At the time, this seemed noteworthy, but we were wrong. Because today I found this:

Also, found chunks of a plane crash:

I wasn't looking for it, and I don't know what this is. Anybody know anything?
dima

Post by dima »

Old newspapers tell me that the main airplane wreckage is (was?) in "Castlerock canyon". Anybody know which one that is? I've never see this name outside of those old LA Times articles.
Sean

Post by Sean »

Castle Canyon is to the west of Eaton.