Ranch Fire Photos

Rescues, fires, weather, roads, trails, water, etc.
CrazyHermit

Post by CrazyHermit »

This one got pretty close to my house, but now it's moving towards Fish Canyon. Hwy. 39 is closed again.
GX012290.jpg
GX012236.jpg
G0152314-1.jpg
G0122303-1.jpg
GX012201.jpg
GX012206.jpg
GX012213.jpg
GX012214.jpg
GX012218.jpg
GX012223.jpg
Anthony

Post by Anthony »

Damn. Fires all over SoCal right now. Glad they got the guy who started this one.
dima

Post by dima »

Maybe Taco's dream of hiking the Silver-Fish road will become a reality after all.
Sean

Post by Sean »

dima wrote: Maybe Taco's dream of hiking the Silver-Fish road will become a reality after all.
I don't see a map of the burned area yet, but if it's going up Roberts Canyon you might be right.

https://inciweb.nwcg.gov/incident/6961
CrazyHermit

Post by CrazyHermit »

Fun Fact - Roberts Canyon is named after Henry Roberts, East Fork miner, who owned a stage coach service in Azusa. When miners would get off the Santa Fe train they'd walk over to his stables across the tracks and catch a ride up to Eldoradoville. Ralph Follows had a stable right next to his. His house was right at the mouth of the canyon.
RobertsStage.jpg

[The extension has been deactivated and can no longer be displayed.]

dima

Post by dima »

Sean wrote:
dima wrote: Maybe Taco's dream of hiking the Silver-Fish road will become a reality after all.
I don't see a map of the burned area yet, but if it's going up Roberts Canyon you might be right.

https://inciweb.nwcg.gov/incident/6961
I've been looking at the caltopo "fire activity" data:
https://caltopo.com/map.html#ll=34.1915 ... a=modis_mp

Not super-precise but (in theory) real-time and is reporting what is actually on fire, as seen by satellites. I want to say the reported area was South of where it is now, so the Silver-Fish road going around Silver Mt was probably burned.
Taco

Post by Taco »

It’s probably burned. I was thinking of that.

What’s containment on it now?

I may have hiked through the remains of Roberts cabin when hiking out from the first descent of Winking Mummy Gulch. Some cacti and stuff around a foundation. Also tried to descend Roberts Canyon once before, but there was so much brush my buddy Jeff and I ran out of time. We had bushwhacked up Silverfish. It involved lots of crawling.
Sean

Post by Sean »

Taco wrote: What’s containment on it now?
19% containment. Still spreading west and north. It burned more of the road yesterday.

Screenshot_2020-08-19-07-20-03~2.png
HikeUp

Post by HikeUp »

So it topped over the ridge at Pine Mountain. I wonder if they saved the facilities located on top.
Sean

Post by Sean »

HikeUp wrote: So it topped over the ridge at Pine Mountain. I wonder if they saved the facilities located on top.
They said they did. Apparently the firebreaks worked for that facility.
patrick

Post by patrick »

I was hiking up on the Dawson Peak trail last thu. when this started, maybe 12 miles northeast. It seemed far enough away, but given that I had to hike towards the fire, back to my campsite, it had me worried enough that I went back up to the ridge to get reception and call the fire dept. The lady I talked to was very patient but had also clearly fielded a million phone calls by that point, lol. (people on the 210 must have seen it 20 mins before I did)

Was taken aback by how quickly a huge smoke cloud formed—was like a bomb went off, I'd never seen a fire just after it started like that (i'm new-ish to CA :)).
firetime2.jpg
Looking past Iron mtn.
There wasn't much wind for a couple hours so the smoke was fairly contained, but closer to sundown the wind picked up and it got pretty smoky where I was.
FCF704D8-9AC2-43A3-834C-B3EE0254FF35-64AB3F87-A977-494C-A7BD-3E099741F5D0.JPG

Made for a nice sunset, anyway. Next day the wind shifted and I didn't see any more of it until I hiked out and drove past it on the way home.
Sean

Post by Sean »

The crews were working toward two major goals Wednesday: reinforcing the northern edge of the fireline along Rincon Red Box Trail, and completing a firebreak along the northwestern shoulder division between Fern Canyon and Cold Springs Canyon, to tie together the two western edges of the fire.
SGVT
HikeUp

Post by HikeUp »

Heck..Fern canyon needs clearing out doesn't it? lol ;)
AW~

Post by AW~ »

HikeUp wrote: Heck..Fern canyon needs clearing out doesn't it? lol ;)
aka Darlin Donna Falls! Leave those ferns alone lol.
dima

Post by dima »

Taco wrote: It’s probably burned. I was thinking of that.

I may have hiked through the remains of Roberts cabin when hiking out from the first descent of Winking Mummy Gulch. Some cacti and stuff around a foundation. Also tried to descend Roberts Canyon once before, but there was so much brush my buddy Jeff and I ran out of time. We had bushwhacked up Silverfish. It involved lots of crawling.
Is this the cabin in question?

https://caltopo.com/map.html#ll=34.1811 ... 3&z=17&b=t
Taco

Post by Taco »

dima wrote:
Taco wrote: It’s probably burned. I was thinking of that.

Is this the cabin in question?

https://caltopo.com/map.html#ll=34.1811 ... 3&z=17&b=t
Negativo, the remains I found were only a few hundred feet from the mouth of the canyon.