4 x 3 on the San Bernardino Ridge via Momyer

Archived TRs for ranges in California.
JerryN

Post by JerryN »

This weekend I went up the Momyer trail to the San Bernardino ridge. Talk about social distancing; from the junction with the trail to Alger Creek, I saw nobody until the descent via Dollar Saddle--and even then only four people before the last 2 miles to the trailhead. The trail up is steep and climbs to 10,500'. It is one of the most beautiful trails around, well not the trail itself, but the scenery. The trail is overgrown and you have to fight through manzanita, chinquapin and buckthorn, downed trees, and some rockfall but the route finding is simple. Once on the ridge I went up Anderson Peak, Shields Peak and Alto Diablo Peak. First was Anderson. It was an easy walk up from the trail, and at 10,840' really nice views all around. Then onto my second 10,000' peak of the day; Shields Peak at 10,680'. I had read that Shields Peak was sketchy from the east, so I climbed the spine from the west. The rock was solid and fun. I descended on what looked like a good route to the southwest. This turned out to be one with a cairn at the trail. It is loose and steep and not nearly as solid as the spine. On to Alto Diablo. I read that it was easy to pass by. So, while daydreaming I noticed a peak behind me that did not look like Shields. A little further and it seemed the trail declined. Yep, just what I remembered. Alto Diablo is not on the maps, so up I went only to find out I had climbed Shields a second time and in fact, from the east is the easiest. Now onto Alto Diablo. This time I found it, not much of a climb, but at 10,567' was my fourth 10,000' foot peak on the ridge line. From there down to Dollar Saddle and the long trek back--22 miles, 6,500' of gain--returned just at sunset. A big day, but a really great hike. Here are some pics I took during the day.

The Momyer trailhead & parking (in Forest Falls)

momyer trailhead.jpg
On the way up the Momyer at 8,000'
Momyer at 8000 feet.jpg

view across to Jepson and San G at 9,500' (still on the way up)
view of jepson and greyback from 9500 feet.jpg

Anderson Flats with some burned trees and many live ones
good camping spots away from the dead trees
Anderson Flats.jpg

views of San J. and the San B range from Anderson Peak Summit
San Jacinto from Anderson Peak.jpg
view from Anderson Peak.jpg
Rocky Shields Peak
Shields Peak.jpg
Summit of Shields Peak.jpg

and the summit block of Alto Diablo--time to go home, but 10 miles to go to get to the car
Alto Diablo Peak.jpg
Sean
Cucamonga

Post by Sean »

Shields is fun. It has that feel of a small Sierra peak. Thanks.
Anthony

Post by Anthony »

Nice timing on this report. This weekend I plan on backpacking up the Forsee Creek Trail along the SB Peak Divide and then down the South Fork Trail. I expect to bag Anderson and Shields along the way. So the east ridge of Shields is sketchy?
JerryN

Post by JerryN »

Anthony, the east ridge of Shields is the easy way up. The spine from the west is the most fun, the other ways are a bit sketchy as the rock is loose.
Anderson is a walk up a low angle slope, there are several mounds but it is easy to find the true peak. The Anderson Flats has lots of good camping spots. I am headed back up with some buddies on Saturday. We are going out of Angelus Oaks to San B. ESanB and Anderson and down the Foresee Creek Trail. Might see you Saturday.
Anthony

Post by Anthony »

JerryN wrote: Anthony, the east ridge of Shields is the easy way up. The spine from the west is the most fun, the other ways are a bit sketchy as the rock is loose.
Anderson is a walk up a low angle slope, there are several mounds but it is easy to find the true peak. The Anderson Flats has lots of good camping spots. I am headed back up with some buddies on Saturday. We are going out of Angelus Oaks to San B. ESanB and Anderson and down the Foresee Creek Trail. Might see you Saturday.
Cool. Thanks for the info. We'll probably ascend Shields via the W ridge and descend via the E ridge since we'll be coming from Anderson and heading east to South Fork.