Mount Gleason

Rescues, fires, weather, roads, trails, water, etc.
Anthony

Post by Anthony »

What's the easiest way to reach Mount Gleason these days? It looks like the most common route is from Mill Creek Summit, but that's a very long hike (18 miles via Mount Gleason Road and 21 miles via the PCT). I'm considering taking one of the forest roads from the north, south or west and then hiking east to Gleason via the PCT. I'm not sure if any of those roads are open though.
HikeUp

Post by HikeUp »

If Mount Gleason Road is open, then you can drive as far as you want, then park and hike the rest of the way on the road or PCT.
Anthony

Post by Anthony »

HikeUp wrote:If Mount Gleason Road is open, then you can drive as far as you want, then park and hike the rest of the way on the road or PCT.
It’s been closed for years.
Tom Kenney

Post by Tom Kenney »

Gleason summit is only 11 mi from Mill Creek Summit via road (not sure the PCT mileage). It might be slightly shorter, but more gain, starting from Moody Canyon Road and finishing on Santa Clara Divide (Messenger Flat/Lightning Point side). The roads on that side have been graded recently, and are in good shape. You can drive to the gate at the bottom of Moody Canyon, which has been moved almost a mile up from it's former location.

There was some discussion, on an old MTB board I used to frequent, about a 'secret' trail up Arrastre Canyon on the north side, but there are many possible routes branching from 4N32 in that area, and some have now been absorbed by the mining operations.

EDIT: Info re: Moody gate.