Mt Pacifico from Mill Creek: Hike or bike?

Trip planning, history, announcements, books, movies, opinions, etc.
Slowest_Hiker

Post by Slowest_Hiker »

Subject says it all. Never been there. Any recommendations for hiking vs. biking?
HikeUp

Post by HikeUp »

1) a boring fire road bike up then down, or

2) an easy but long and scenic walk along the PCT up

2a) return on pct, or

2b) a boring fire road walk down (unless you cut the road's switchbacks).
Tom Kenney

Post by Tom Kenney »

Depends on how many miles you want. Usually, if I bike that route, I continue on to 3 Points, then back via a combination of trails and roads. My typical route is to follow Silver Moc back thru Horse Flats and down to the Chilao Road, then out to the fire camp and north back to Alder Saddle, and back over Pacifico on the road.

Never bored on the bike, the easy miles just means I can do more in a day.
Sean

Post by Sean »

You could make it a little less boring by adding the Roundtop Road to the plan. Go grab the views at Roundtop on the bike and on the way back scramble off-trail to Granite while you're there. Then check out Pacifico.
Slowest_Hiker

Post by Slowest_Hiker »

We could have differing ideas of "boring..." :D

We enjoy riding Blue Ridge Rd from Inspriation Pt to Guffy and back. Would you call the Pacifico ride significantly more boring than that?
HikeUp

Post by HikeUp »

from mill creek up to the turn off for round top...yes! lol
Sean

Post by Sean »

Agree with Hikeup. Mill Creek to Roundtop Rd is not that interesting, apart from some sweeping views west and north. That area got hit hard in the Station Fire and is still recovering. So the initial stretch of the Pacifico Rd is kind of an uphill grind. It gets better after that though.

Blue Ridge Rd to Guffy is much nicer. It has high country views, more trees and waypoint destinations.