WHITE MTN ATTEMPT

Archived TRs for ranges in California.
Girl Hiker

Post by Girl Hiker »

Two weekends ago, I attempted to bag another 14er, since I am on a mission to bag a few favorites. I successfully climbed Mt. Langley, so White Mtn. was the next obvious choice. I heard different comments on how hard it was versus how it was the easiest of the 14ers. Nevertheless, I decided to give it a shot.
On a very short notice three friends and I decided to drilve to the Sierras on Saturday morning and hike on Sunday.

We made a pit stop at the visitor center in the Bristlecone Forest.

From the visitor Center, it is a 16 mile drive up a very rocky bumpy road to the Barcroft Station if you choose to camp out there. The gate is closed and doesnt open up until 630am. The other option is to camp out at Grandview campground at a lower elevation. Our group had a difference of opinions so, I decided to camp by the gate so that it would save time and avoid the nautious bumpy road on the same morning I would summit.

The views were gorgeous but the bumpy road was so annoying. We were driving at 10mph. it seemed like it was taking forever just to get to our campsite.

Wild Horse.

Views of White Mtn with snow patches.

We finally arrived at the Barcroft Gate and there must have been 30 cars already set up with their camping gear also planning to take the additional 2 mile drive up to the trail head of White Mtn. the following morning. Cars were still arriving late into the evening.

We arrived just in time for sunset.

Unfortunately for me, AMS started to affect me. I did everything in my power to get over it so that I could wake up early the next morning and be on my way. Sadly, my symptoms got worse and I could not join my friends. I waited for them in my tent for 7 long hours. I was thinking about that nautious 16 mile drive on the return to Bristlecone, then the additoinal drive down the curvy mountain road. Needless to say, I survived but made my friend stop several times off the road. I was so disappointed and I felt like I didn't even have a chance to attempt this beautiful peak.
Anyways, I am happy my friends summitted.

As someone once told me "sleep low hike high"
RIP John Nordinger
Picture was taken 2 days before he died of ALS.

Tom Kenney

Post by Tom Kenney »

I've found that aspirin helps with AMS. For this outing, if you'd popped 2 tablets at Westgard Pass (where White Mtn road splits from CA-168), and then 2 more the morning of the hike, you might have got through. Since everyone responds differently to altitude, you'd have to test this to see if it's effective for you.

Great pics! You'll have to go back and try again, if only to witness 'Marmot Valley' at about the halfway point.
Girl Hiker

Post by Girl Hiker »

Tom Kenney wrote: I've found that aspirin helps with AMS. For this outing, if you'd popped 2 tablets at Westgard Pass (where White Mtn road splits from CA-168), and then 2 more the morning of the hike, you might have got through. Since everyone responds differently to altitude, you'd have to test this to see if it's effective for you.

Great pics! You'll have to go back and try again, if only to witness 'Marmot Valley' at about the halfway point.

Thanks for the advice. I actually took some Ibuprofen the night before but I woke up so sick to my stomach that I was afraid to take any more the next morning.

I will definitely attempt it again. I never give up!
RichardK

Post by RichardK »

AMS can strike one time and not the next. We take the herbal supplement gingko biloba starting about a week before going to altitude. And aspirin the day of the hike. For some reason, I think aspirin works better than the Aleve and Advil products.

We never made it to White Mtn before moving out of state. I didn't know that they had started opening up the gate to shorten the hike. I think you used to have to park at the gate and start walking. That is good to know. I might have to plan a White Mtn trip.
JeffH

Post by JeffH »

I thought they only opened the gate on Labor Day weekend, changes things if it gets opened all the time.
Just never know about AMS, it can be quite random. I don't usually notice elevation until about 13K but I've had times where I felt terrible down around 10K and turned back.
"Argue for your limitations and sure enough they're yours".
Donald Shimoda
psykokid

Post by psykokid »

They usually do two open gate days a year. One at the end of July and another in September.
Girl Hiker

Post by Girl Hiker »

RichardK wrote: AMS can strike one time and not the next. We take the herbal supplement gingko biloba starting about a week before going to altitude. And aspirin the day of the hike. For some reason, I think aspirin works better than the Aleve and Advil products.

We never made it to White Mtn before moving out of state. I didn't know that they had started opening up the gate to shorten the hike. I think you used to have to park at the gate and start walking. That is good to know. I might have to plan a White Mtn trip.
I think I will have to try gingko biloba :)