ONYX SUMMIT TO BALDWIN LAKE - A PCT ADVENTURE

Archived TRs for ranges in California.
Girl Hiker

Post by Girl Hiker »

On Saturday I met my usual crazies that I hike with on Wednesday but that has changed and now we are also hiking sections of the PCT in a series through the San Bernardino and Wrightwood areas on weekends.
Anyways, this week's adventure has taken us to the back country of Mt. San Gorgonio. It was a shuttle hike so we met up at Onyx summit, off Hwy 38 and a few of us drove to Forest Service Road 2N09, dropped cars off, where the hike would end and returned to Onyx.

First things first, H20 for the PCTers left by Mountain Mama and Papa Smurf.

The trail was gorgeous! There was some elevation gain but not much as most of the trail was pretty flat with a few uphill climbs.

Mt. San Gorgonio in the distance.

Pretty flowers.

There were tons of PCT signs. I was surprised to see so many in very good shape that looked almost new.

It had rained the day before and some sections were still wet but the reward was finding some cool mushrooms along the trail, but I think this is the second largest mushroom I have ever seen!

It must be mating season for lady bugs. Lots of tree branches were smothered by these lovely creatures,

The last section of the PCT trail towards our destination was exposed but the weather was strange today as the sun was in n out of the clouds.

We had beautiful views all around us.

View of Baldwin Lake.

Finally we approached our destination towards the cars but before we shuttled people back to our original starting point, we decided to walk a 1/4 mile and see the Eye of God Rock made of beautiful quartz.

Overall, it was a very beautiful PCT trail, nicely maintained. The first 8 miles were in the shade and the remaining 6 were exposed.
Total stats: 14 miles.
HikeUp

Post by HikeUp »

wow, that's really cool. had not seen many pictures from that stretch of the pct.

standing on god's eye...ballsy!
Girl Hiker

Post by Girl Hiker »

HikeUp wrote: wow, that's really cool. had not seen many pictures from that stretch of the pct.

standing on god's eye...ballsy!

Thanks Hike up

Did you ever make it to the Rock Garden?
HikeUp

Post by HikeUp »

girlhiker70 wrote: Did you ever make it to the Rock Garden?
Unfortunately no.