Things Lately

Trip planning, history, announcements, books, movies, opinions, etc.
Taco

Post by Taco »

I'm in SoCal for a while, waiting out storms and replacing worn out equipment. Hope I can get up some steep winter routes soon.

I see some folks have been rescued lately. Please be careful and err on the side of going home without a summit or whatever achievement. Give the snow enough time to freeze and thaw into something safer to ascend. Stay away from avy-prone slopes, of which I believe there will be countless due to this huge snowfall we've had.

I anticipated another dry, warm, crappy winter, and am happy it didn't turn out that way, even if it meant delaying my bike trip up north. How does this year rank so far compared to 2010-11, 2004-05, and what was it, 98-99?

Please be careful, don't do anything stupid, and don't go up anything if you don't know how to self arrest in your sleep, blindfolded, and drunk. Be smart. Don't follow huge groups of new people up the bowl. Use common sense and listen to the voices I hope you've developed in your head/gut.

Sorry for the influx of Russian spambots. I've deleted them and I'll pay more attention in the future until I head back out up north.

I'm trying to climb Baldy by riding my bike to the trailhead and then going up from there. Failed once, only making it to Baldy Village before I fell apart. Might give it a shot again.

Cheers
RichardK

Post by RichardK »

Welcome back!
hillbasher

Post by hillbasher »

Taco wrote:

I'm trying to climb Baldy by riding my bike to the trailhead and then going up from there. Failed once, only making it to Baldy Village before I fell apart. Might give it a shot again.

Cheers

I know a guy that left Santa Monica on his bike after wading into the ocean as a start, rode his bike all the way up GRR to the Village and up to Manker Flats and then summited Baldy in one day. He was also well known for a few years back doing Whitney once a week for 52 consecutive weeks. Have met him a few times in the Sierra, and the last time up on White Mtn. where his hike out to the top and back to the gate ended a day of hiking over 30 miles, all of it above 12,000 feet or so. He was using that weekend as prep for the following weekend trip to do all 3 of the big volcanoes down in Mexico. Have never met a person that can hike/climb like do does. His name is Richard P.
tekewin

Post by tekewin »

Glad you're back!
OutdoorAbstract

Post by OutdoorAbstract »

Please don't get creamed while bicycling Mt. Baldy Road. When I see a Ghost Bicycle it is chilling to think about the rider. The aforementioned mountaineering behavior may be far safer...

http://ghostbikes.org