Trails of the Angeles (Throughout the Editions)

Trip planning, history, announcements, books, movies, opinions, etc.
missy

Post by missy »

I did a comparison of all the editions of Trails of the Angeles since the first edition. Check it out, lots of interesting history!

http://angelesadventures.com/trails/

It was neat to see that those three mines under San Antonio Ridge used to be in the book! (Gold Dollar, Eagle, Baldora/Widco)

And so did the Gleason Mines and Monte Cristo Mine!

What trails would you like to see added or deleted in the next edition?

I'm kind of surprised Little & Upper Fish Fork are still in the edition. It was definitely hard to follow that trail and access from down to Lupine Campground is closed every now and then.

Also, Mt. Gleason Road to Mt. Gleason may have to go. It doesn't look like the road will ever open :(
AW~

Post by AW~ »

Excellent writeup!

I dont know that I would change anything....except to get rid of Fish Canyon in Azusa. Id replace that with Cucamonga canyon/San Sevaine. Id add the Gabrielino trail via JPL...perhaps in place of via Dark canyon. #9 & #10 Trail canyon are too redundant...Id eliminate #9 and add in Great Falls of the Fox viewpoint for the Big Tujunga.

Id agree that Fish Fork is increasingly out of reach...but its good to have one that challenges the readers significantly. Even if they only get to see Baldy and SA ridge, it would be worth it.
Sean
Cucamonga

Post by Sean »

Some hikes I'd scrap because the trails are closed or too damaged:

#8 Alder Creek to Barley Flats
#10 Big Tujunga to Tom Lucas to Indian Ben Saddle...
#49 Azusa to Mt. Bliss...
#50 Azusa to Fish Canyon...
#64 and #66 because a trail is closed to protect frogs

In general I think the book has too many Front Range hikes. There are forty-six of them! With seven departing from Chantry. Chantry is nice, but it's not THAT nice.

Also, there are a few examples where repetitious hikes could be combined into one with suggested alternatives for lengthening or shortening or rerouting the adventure. Do we really need to devote two hikes to the Old Mt. Wilson Trail? (#39 and #40) Or devote two hikes to different ways to reach the nonexistent Oakwilde? (#15 and #16)

Perhaps some additions could include:

Monte Cristo to Rabbit or Iron (or the whole loop with Granite and Round Top)
Something in Deukmejian (after all the effort they put into fixing those trails)
Glendora Ridge Motorway to Azusa Peak
Something in the Glendora Wilderness
CA-39 to Silver Mtn
Sulphur Springs to Bare Mtn
Winston Ridge
Copter Ridge
Ross Mtn
Shoemaker Rd to Rattlesnake Peak
Acorn Trail to Wright Mtn
Pinyon Ridge
Barrett-Stoddard Rd to Stoddard Peak
Something in the Claremont Hills Wilderness Park
Something in the Etiwanda Preserve
Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

I seem to remember that the trail in Dark Canyon is pretty much gone. Def remove.

Little Fish Fork isn't THAT bad, but the trail down from Dawson Peak is approaching unfollowable as is the trail down to Upper Fish Fork.

It'd be nice to see a few new ones, BUT the ones we remove should be at a minimum mentioned in the "Trails of Yesteryear" section. I don't know if every edition has that section, but I found it fascinating reading. :)

And it's a crying shame that the section of the PCT over by Mt. Williamson that is off limits to protect the frogs is closed. That's a really nice section and makes a nice loop for anyone doing Mt Williamson - Pleasant View Ridge - Burkhart Saddle - PCT - Eagles Roost. My understanding is that they're only worried about the one creek crossing (Rattlesnake Spring?) and that they plan to simply build a bridge there and when that's done they'll re-open that section. Of course when they'll ever get around to installing that bridge is anybody's guess.

HJ
missy

Post by missy »

AW wrote: Excellent writeup!

I dont know that I would change anything....except to get rid of Fish Canyon in Azusa. Id replace that with Cucamonga canyon/San Sevaine. Id add the Gabrielino trail via JPL...perhaps in place of via Dark canyon. #9 & #10 Trail canyon are too redundant...Id eliminate #9 and add in Great Falls of the Fox viewpoint for the Big Tujunga.

Id agree that Fish Fork is increasingly out of reach...but its good to have one that challenges the readers significantly. Even if they only get to see Baldy and SA ridge, it would be worth it.
Yeah Robinson used to include San Sevaine to Cucamonga but took it off because of persistent road access to San Sevaine Flats (isnt the road pretty gnar too?)
missy

Post by missy »

Sean wrote: Some hikes I'd scrap because the trails are closed or too damaged:

#8 Alder Creek to Barley Flats
#10 Big Tujunga to Tom Lucas to Indian Ben Saddle...
#49 Azusa to Mt. Bliss...
#50 Azusa to Fish Canyon...
#64 and #66 because a trail is closed to protect frogs

In general I think the book has too many Front Range hikes. There are forty-six of them! With seven departing from Chantry. Chantry is nice, but it's not THAT nice.

Also, there are a few examples where repetitious hikes could be combined into one with suggested alternatives for lengthening or shortening or rerouting the adventure. Do we really need to devote two hikes to the Old Mt. Wilson Trail? (#39 and #40) Or devote two hikes to different ways to reach the nonexistent Oakwilde? (#15 and #16)

Perhaps some additions could include:

Monte Cristo to Rabbit or Iron (or the whole loop with Granite and Round Top)
Something in Deukmejian (after all the effort they put into fixing those trails)
Glendora Ridge Motorway to Azusa Peak
Something in the Glendora Wilderness
CA-39 to Silver Mtn
Sulphur Springs to Bare Mtn
Winston Ridge
Copter Ridge
Ross Mtn
Shoemaker Rd to Rattlesnake Peak
Acorn Trail to Wright Mtn
Pinyon Ridge
Barrett-Stoddard Rd to Stoddard Peak
Something in the Claremont Hills Wilderness Park
Something in the Etiwanda Preserve
Yeah I see what you mean about too many front country hikes. Seems like they wanted to cater to more hikes with shorter driving times?

Oakwilde since the fire station definitely (but sadly) needs to go

Lots of good suggestions for those new trails!

Hopefully Doug Christiansen updates those trails that are badly erroded or are too often repeated. We'll see. Interesting to see the trail book gradually change with the times
Uncle Rico

Post by Uncle Rico »

Great post missy.

Personally, I'd leave out many of Sean's suggested additions and let folks find those places on their own. A trail guide is a nice introduction to a particular place, but part of the fun of exploring the mountains is looking over maps and then visiting places that are not "in the book." 8)
Chicken Legs

Post by Chicken Legs »

I just stumbled upon this comparison, thanks for putting this together I enjoyed seeing the transition over the editions. Any word on a 10th edition?
Anthony

Post by Anthony »

I did Mt. Bliss via Van Tassel (#49) today. The fire road is in great condition.
Hayduke

Post by Hayduke »

Very cool write up. I still have a paper copy of the 7th edition from when I first moved to LA in 1998.