Pembrokeshire Coast Path, Wales: May, 2016

Archived TRs for ranges outside California.
HikeUp

Post by HikeUp »

Spent a week walking a portion of the Pembrokeshire Coast Path in Wales recently. A bit east and a tad north of the San Gabriels, but it is a nice walk that I figured you would appreciate! Trail is well maintained and signed, and is only moderately hilly (an occasional 100' to 300' gain/drop). Weather can be a bitch, but can be stunning too.

Pics.

We set up a trip where we hiked from town to town, staying in B&B's everynight, luggage was shuttled for us, and many an ale was quaffed at the local pubs. We covered about 60 miles of the coast path (which is 186 miles in length). Started near Milford Haven and ended in St. Davids 6 days later (5 days hiking, 1 day side trip described below).

Image20160520_091833 by HikeUp_Pasadena, on Flickr

Nothing strenuous, but not a cakewalk either when the weather got mean. My Marmot Precip jacket was sufficient to keep me dry even when the wind/rain was blasting us on Skomer. Wrapped my backpack in a rain cover which kept it dry as well. Used ziplock baggies for essential stuff for backup, just in case the rain cover failed.

Image20160518_103449 by HikeUp_Pasadena, on Flickr

We also took a "rest day" to go for a hike on Skomer Island, just a short boat trip from the town of Marloes. Skomer is well known for the gazillion birds that call it home (Puffins, Manx Shearwaters, etc.).

Image20160519_132526 by HikeUp_Pasadena, on Flickr

This is just one of many many hikes/trails/paths/routes that exist in the U.K. They make it easy to go for long/short hard/easy walks in beautiful country.

Links...
http://www.nationaltrail.co.uk/pembrokeshire-coast-path
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Skomer

p.s.

Also learned about coasteering - a new form of insanity that I am sure about 75% of you crazy people would enjoy. Google it and check this link...

https://www.celticquestcoasteering.com/
Mike P

Post by Mike P »

Well done, HikeUp! Love the bird pics!
Uncle Rico

Post by Uncle Rico »

Very beautiful country. Some of those coastal shots remind me a bit of the Pt. Reyes area.
AW~

Post by AW~ »

Lovely pics...what a nice trip!
Can I take a puffin back with me to the states?(joke)

Coasteering looks a bit made up IMO....but interesting they prefer canyoneer 2 shoes in salt water.
HikeUp

Post by HikeUp »

AW, figured you would like all the water involved in coasteering. Climbing up cliffs, jumping off into the waves crashing against the cliffs and kayaking to the next cliff or cave. All while freezing your ass off and dodging puffins.
HikeUp

Post by HikeUp »

Mike P wrote: Well done, HikeUp! Love the bird pics!
I bet you would enjoy Skomer. Curious thing about Manx Shearwaters is that they out at sea during the day (for the most part), and come home to their underground burrows at night to party. But what you occasionally see during the day is pairs of wings with just a bone or two connecting them just laying on the ground - the Black-Backed Gulls apparently catch and eat the Manx for snacks (apparently the wings ain't good eatin').
AW~

Post by AW~ »

HikeUp wrote: AW, figured you would like all the water involved in coasteering. Climbing up cliffs, jumping off into the waves crashing against the cliffs and kayaking to the next cliff or cave. All while freezing your ass off and dodging puffins.
Have a check mark on almost all beach drama....except for puffins and being in really big waves. Id expect the police to show up here in Cali....some tourist will panic. And 10 to 1 the state already closed access to such an area.
tekewin

Post by tekewin »

Cool! Those coastal shots are unusual.
JeffH

Post by JeffH »

AW wrote: Can I take a puffin back with me to the states?(joke)
There are puffins out near Acadia NP in Maine, I visited there a few years ago.
Almost like having some in your backyard...
http://explore.org/live-cams/player/puf ... -ledge-cam
"Argue for your limitations and sure enough they're yours".
Donald Shimoda
HikeUp

Post by HikeUp »

Uncle Rico wrote: Very beautiful country. Some of those coastal shots remind me a bit of the Pt. Reyes area.
Yes, reminisent of the Pacific coast (and I agree, Reyes in particular) yet different and relentlously awesome!

Highly recommended.
HikeUp

Post by HikeUp »

tekewin wrote: Cool! Those coastal shots are unusual.
Thanks. Hard to take a bad picture of the scenery there.
HikeUp

Post by HikeUp »

JeffH wrote:
AW wrote: Can I take a puffin back with me to the states?(joke)
There are puffins out near Acadia NP in Maine, I visited there a few years ago.
Almost like having some in your backyard...
http://explore.org/live-cams/player/puf ... -ledge-cam
I've been to Maine but unfortunately wasn't able to make it to Acadia NP. Another must on the list imho.