Physics problem

Trip planning, history, announcements, books, movies, opinions, etc.
walker

Post by walker »

Dima's recent trip report jogged my memory of an unsolved mystery I encountered on my way up the north ridge of Mt Williamson: How did this get here?

This tire is located on the broad summit of peak 6621, one of the many bumps on the ridge.

It's been quite a few years since I visited the plane wreck near the top of Pleasant View Ridge, but if I remember correctly, the plane seemed to have been going from the north side of the ridges towards the southeast. Could it be possible that this piece of debris made the journey from one rim of Holcolmb Canyon to the other? If not, I can't really think of why anybody would haul a tire up to the top of peak 6621.

Here's the general vicinity:

https://caltopo.com/map.html#ll=34.3872 ... 1&z=15&b=t

I think the wreck was on the broad shoulder near the number 31 on the topo map. If this actually happened, I'm glad I wasn't standing there when a tire fell out of the sky.

Hmm...
Elwood

Post by Elwood »

It would be interesting to see if the manufacturer's date code is still visible on the tire.
HikeUp

Post by HikeUp »

Probably dragged up there by a hunter. Why? To start building a blind?
AW~

Post by AW~ »

Hmm....

Good thing he wasnt seen in person driving down the ridge...guy is pretty rude if you ask me
Sean

Post by Sean »

Elwood wrote: It would be interesting to see if the manufacturer's date code is still visible on the tire.
Looks like a Uniroyal Tiger Paw. It could be as old as the 1960s.