Gear List -- Grand Canyon May 2015

Clothes, tools, technology, nutrition, training, techniques, etc.
Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

I just got back from a trip to the Grand Canyon. For your amusement, here's my gear list. I wound up with 19 pounds base weight, :( which is a bit heavier than I was looking for. If you scroll down in the above linked list, you'll see my list of "proposed changes" to get my gear weight down to a more manageable level, about 14 pounds for a warm weather trip. Insightful suggestions for further weight reduction welcome.

Despite my gear being heavier than I wanted, I did reasonably well on the trip. I had sprained my right knee in January and then re-injured it in February when I tried to get back out on the trail again too soon. NOT a good idea. Gotta let it rest up. I hit the Grand Canyon with only about 4 weeks of serious training after having taken about 2 months off from hiking. It took me about 6 hours of hiking to go the 9 miles to exit the canyon on the last day, a speed of about 1.5 mph. Given the amount of gain, 4500+ feet, the injury, and the fact that I was carrying overnight gear, I thought I did OK.

HJ
JeffH

Post by JeffH »

Great place to hike. I would say the scenery slowed you down some too.
"Argue for your limitations and sure enough they're yours".
Donald Shimoda
Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

Ha! That would be an affirmative.

HJ
JayO

Post by JayO »

Did you create a trip report of your Grand Canyon adventure? If so, where can it be found?
Illusive

Post by Illusive »

You should be able to save weight by DL'ing the new testament-heck even the whole bible on your phone and tossing the handheld.

Additionally, in "warmer" weather you can drop the long johns, and take a warmer bag to compensate.

I am soooo jelly of your ti pot kit.
Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

JayO wrote: Did you create a trip report of your Grand Canyon adventure? If so, where can it be found?
JayO, I haven't done a TR. I'd like to, but I haven't yet had time.

HJ
Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

Illusive wrote: You should be able to save weight by DL'ing the new testament-heck even the whole bible on your phone and tossing the handheld.
Yeah, I've come to that conclusion too. Puts a lot of eggs in the Smart Phone basket, but it just makes sense.
Illusive wrote: I am soooo jelly of your ti pot kit.
It's a super nice set up. Here's my review of the Ti Tri Sidewinder if you're interested. It's typically my go to kit for solo outings.

HJ