Los Padres NF:Matilija Creek 2/16/15

Archived TRs for the Los Padres National Forest.
AW~

Post by AW~ »

Started hike at 6:45 am returning about 3:30pm. Its a well known hike but first time for me. About the same as the bridge to nowhere, but a little more scenic. In starts off through some private property, and one of those guys has been served a lawsuit to allow hikers to pass. The trail is low impact compared to how many visitors show up and this day at least barely any trash or graffiti.

I continued on into the 'lost' section, getting poked in the eye by a branch in the process of 'easing the accessibility'. David Stillman writes in his blog about the lost section and it was accurate. There was a waterfall shortly after the main lower falls that is not so safe to climb directly IMO, although thats what people do I guess. There was a long section of dry canyon(thanks to a landslide) and then a short swamp and then the turnaround falls. You could go farther but theres not much motivation to do so.

Pretty cool stuff all around and the hike back was much faster.

Boulder above the creek

travel in the dry part of the lost section
swamp...no crocodiles here :)
another swamp photo
2nd to last falls
JeffH

Post by JeffH »

Falls and pool below look great. I think I would filter from the other source.
"Argue for your limitations and sure enough they're yours".
Donald Shimoda
Uncle Rico

Post by Uncle Rico »

Nice Canyon Man. I've been up both Upper North Fork and Murietta, but never the main canyon to the falls. Thanks for the pics. Another one for the bucket list.
tarol

Post by tarol »

Nice - it's on my to do list!