Mt. Lowe to Idlehour Camps: 16-18 May 2008

TRs for the San Gabriel Mountains.
Mike P

Post by Mike P »

Our troop took a three day hike from Eaton Saddle to the Eaton Canyon Nature Center last weekend. Warm weather and hordes of mosquitoes greeted us.

We left the Mt Wilson Road around 7:00 pm and took our time down the road and across the Mt Lowe East Trail to Mt Lowe Camp. As usual, the view from Inspiration Point was incredible:

There was no water at the usual creek just E of camp. However, water was observed in the creek immediately below camp. Water could also be heard in the water tank in the brush immediately NE of camp. We couldn't find an easy way to get to it, though.

We returned to Inspiration Point the next morning to check out the view during daylight:

The hike down the Idlehour Trail into Eaton Canyon is one of the prettiest in the front range:

There were several downed trees and manzanita - this was the biggest:

Befitting the warm weather, we saw a few trail buddies. This one was on a rock next to my campsite at Idlehour:

My tent site at Idlehour:

Water was plentiful at Idlehour:

Our hike out of Idlehour to the Toll Road was quite warm and there were more down trees on it, as well. Idlehour Camp lies roughly east of the rock face in the center of the picture. This northward view is from the Idlehour Trail as it heads to the Mt Wilson Toll Road.

We had lunch at Henninger Flat amongst the tall weeds. We took the Toll Road down to the Horse Trail where we cut off to Eaton Canyon Nature Center. It was HOT on that south-facing slope. Temps reached 105°! Overall, this was a fun trip. It was relatively short at 10 miles in length and was a good introductory backpack for the younger folk.
Taco

Post by Taco »

The snake looks comfortable. Sucks that it was so hot. Nice pics!
HikeUp

Post by HikeUp »

Thanks for the info on the Idlehour trail. Hot + skeeters...what fun! :D
He219

Post by He219 »

Nice pix!

That rattler, on the rock next to your tent?!
:shock:

Post by 406 »

cool photos...that night shot of LA looks like something from a scifi movie.
AW~

Post by AW~ »

love the photos as usual...ahh Eaton canyon..like that place a lot.
Mike P

Post by Mike P »

Yes, the little rattlesnake in the first set of pics was on the rock where my backpack was leaning. (I removed the snake first.) Here is a picture of the rock and snake. It proves that we need to be careful out there:

Here is another rattlesnake on the steps at Inspiration Point. We found this dude at midnight.
Taco

Post by Taco »

406 wrote:cool photos...that night shot of LA looks like something from a scifi movie.

"Mos Eisley spaceport. You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy. We must be cautious."
Dudley Heinsbergen

Post by Dudley Heinsbergen »

me and my brother saw a bunch of scouts head down the Mt Wilson Toll road from Henninger that day(sunday)

was that you guys?

Post by 406 »

TacoDelRio wrote: "Mos Eisley spaceport. You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy. We must be cautious."
HA! My thoughts exactly!
Mike P

Post by Mike P »

Dudley, those scouts (mostly in red shirts) must have been us. Who else would backpack in 105° weather?

I was one of the last hikers in that group. I don't look anything like my avatar :)
Chicken Legs

Post by Chicken Legs »

Dudley, if the Scouts were in red shirts and there was a dog along then that was us. If not it must have been another rag tag bunch of trail rats...