Winter break snowshoe on Mt. Rose trail, Nevada

Archived TRs for ranges outside California.
calicokid

Post by calicokid »

Took family to Reno, Nevada for our annual winter break. Took advantage of being driver to drop my son and niece to Mt Rose Ski area, I tried to hike Mt Rose trail on Dec 30 before the New Year (my son asked me to go ski with them, but I felt my knee saying no!). This year there is lots of snow on the mountain. It was snowing lightly during Christmas. All powder!!!

Came out of Reno and the sign on the highway to Mt Rose said "chain requires". Not on this lightly snow, I pressed on to the ski area. No Nev highway patrol check points!

Got to parking lot around 10:30 and on the trail around 11am
Parking lot sign of the Mt Rose trail

The restroom is close (for real) due to weather.

it was snowing on and off but not much wind on the south face. however, it is hard to find the trail so I just randomly followed snowshoe or XC ski trace to get up to the ridge. Lots of XC skier, I guessed they felt blessed with all powder this year compared to last.

Skier going down

Hiked on snowshoe till 1pm I found a snack spot hiding from the afternoon snow and wind

Me and tired at 9000ft

Back to the parking lot at 3:30 to pick up the kids at the ski resort. It was cold now and still snowing
calicokid

Post by calicokid »

New Year Day same routine, I dropped my son and niece at the Mt Rose ski resort and headed up the Mt. Rose trail

At the ski resort parking lot with Mt Rose summit in the back ground

Snowshoe along the low trail to avoid the pain. Today it was so nice and sunny. It was so calm on the south face

Looking down Tahoe Meadow, beginner cross-country skiers heaven

Gaining elevation, South Lake Tahoe shot

Carson Valley below

Sign

Got to top of the ridge and it was blowing hard on the north face. In the distance is Tamarack peak. Lots of XC ski tracks, these guys had a ball!

It was about 12:30pm. And that my turning back time. Found a cozy calm place for lunch and viewing lake Tahoe

Some shots
Buffalo in the snows

The trees are protected

Back at the parking lot around 3:30pm before picking the kids at the ski resort
lilbitmo

Post by lilbitmo »

Very nice Jim, thanks for the photos, it's been way too long since I was in that area during winter, I used to be stationed just on the otherside of the mountains at Beale AFB near Grass Valley, great country.

Keep the reports coming :D
Uncle Rico

Post by Uncle Rico »

Beautiful! Well done ck.
JeffH

Post by JeffH »

Great pics. That second day looks like the perfect time to be there!
"Argue for your limitations and sure enough they're yours".
Donald Shimoda