Axes, not climbing ones though.

Clothes, tools, technology, nutrition, training, techniques, etc.
Taco

Post by Taco »

Got me some new axes:

1. Allen Bearded Axe

I know there's a special place in a government-run version of hell (think of the DMV without A/C) for people like me who mutilate government-planted needle-leaf trees.

2. Hanwei Bearded Axe

Not sure if anyone is interested in these sortsa old school weapons, but I would like to put a review up soon if I buy a decent video camera.

Cheers
PackerGreg

Post by PackerGreg »

"Weapons"?... or tools?
Taco

Post by Taco »

Weapons. They're not built for chopping wood, though I did get them for bushwhacking as well as martial arts practice.
Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

So, if I may ask, what make an axe more weapon oriented than wood cutting? Is the "bearded" portion of the axe merely a stylistic homage to the norsemen of old or is there actually a utility to it?

HJ
Taco

Post by Taco »

Thin profile in a weapon axe, better penetration in soft media. Wood cutting axes have a thicker profile for splitting the wood post-cut.

The beard allows a longer edge with less weight. One can also grip close to the head and use it to 'shave' wood, etc.
Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

Taco wrote: Thin profile in a weapon axe, better penetration in soft media. Wood cutting axes have a thicker profile for splitting the wood post-cut.

The beard allows a longer edge with less weight. One can also grip close to the head and use it to 'shave' wood, etc.
Interesting.

I was in Sport Chalet the other day, and they had a Tomahawk for sale. Go figure.

HJ
Taco

Post by Taco »

Probably a SOG model.
Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

Taco wrote: Probably a SOG model.
Yep. Just surprised it would be in a Sport Chalet. Doesn't seem like it would have much practical value to the typical customer.

HJ
arocknoid

Post by arocknoid »

Nice toolage, taco.

Here are a couple of pics of one of my Daniel Winkler axes, made for the Teams. This, and its companions, are not on his website.

The blurred area masks an amazing artistic image crafted *in* the damascus itself; other images you may find on the intertubes of damascus variants of this breaching axe lack that art/symbol.

Synchronicity: i see that "Last of the Mohicans" is showing on TV tonight; Daniel made the period sharp iron pieces for that film.

kind regards,
arocknoid

oops, website here:

http://www.winklerknives.com/knifeidx.a ... nives%20II
Taco

Post by Taco »

Very attractive!
Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

Nice stuff.

And I notice that your axe is sitting on an "axe". 8)

HJ
arocknoid

Post by arocknoid »

Very good, Jim. I figured you wood get the visual pun.

Especially for you, there are two more visual juxtaposition puns :

The first is fair game, as the guitar wood type is readily apparent (koa) and I made reference to the users for whom the axe is made. (left for your satisfaction and solution ;)

The second is more abstruse, as the guitar is a rare bird made long ago by Kirk Sand. This was a one-of-a-kind solidbody Kirk made for a certain Canadian guitarist a few decades past. (He also made a famous-but-vanished seven-string...Canadian...RIP LB....)

In the pic, no one would be expected to know that it is a "Sand Box," but if I put one of the Team axes with a different Sand guitar (its brethren are Rosewood and spruce) it would lose the Koa double entendre. (sigh.... when one essplains... ;)

The current Warriors of course are engaged in The Sandbox. Mostly.

onegaishimasu
arocknoid
davantalus

Post by davantalus »

That rescue axe looks awesome.
Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

arocknoid wrote: There are two more visual juxtaposition puns
Dude! Those aren't puns, those are riddles!

I gotta stop looking at that Winkler stuff. I might start wanting it.

HJ
davantalus

Post by davantalus »

[quote="Hikin_Jim:41837"]I gotta stop looking at that Winkler stuff. I might start wanting it.[/quote]

Too late me, save yourselves! I already devoted my scotch-tin-change-bucket to one of these.
ur2slo

Post by ur2slo »

@rock....

Here are a couple of pics of one of my Daniel Winkler axes, made for the Teams. This, and its companions, are not on his website.

The blurred area masks an amazing artistic image crafted *in* the damascus itself; other images you may find on the intertubes of damascus variants of this breaching axe lack that art/symbol.

Synchronicity: i see that "Last of the Mohicans" is showing on TV tonight; Daniel made the period sharp iron pieces for that film.

kind regards,
arocknoid

oops, website here:

http://www.winklerknives.com/knifeidx.a ... nives%20II[/quote]

fantastic metal work! didnt kno it still existed. gotta check em out
I'm in market for a good one, those are great ones!