San Gorgonio and the San Bernandinos Jan 15-23

Discuss SoCal ranges other than the San Gabriels.
EastKing

Post by EastKing »

Gimpilator (from SummitPost) and I are going to be heading to Southern California to doing San Gorgonio and many of the other peaks in the San Bernadino's. The trip is going to be the last week in January to the first week in February. We will be bringing all the winter trimmings including the snowshoes, ice axe, crampons and helmets and expect full winter conditions similiar to up here in Washington. We would like to combine with someone down in the area who is truely experienced in winter snowclimbing and mountaineering? Please PM me and state your experience with not only this mountain but snow travel in general.

Thanks,

EK

Here is our profiles and our hiking and climbing experience...

http://www.summitpost.org/users/eastking/894

http://www.summitpost.org/users/gimpilator/25744
Taco

Post by Taco »

Mind if I ask if you guys have any particular objectives in mind?

I recognize both of you from SPorg. :-)

Cheers
EastKing

Post by EastKing »

Our goal is try to summit head up to San Gorgonio via the Vivian Creek Trail, knocking off Bighorn and then as many of the 10,000 foot summits as we can around San Gorgonio before going down the ridge towards Jepson and Anderson (there are many others on the list) and eventually San Bernadino Peak. From there we will take one of the trais back to the valley and then walk the road back to the car. Looking at 3 days just to ensure success.
Taco

Post by Taco »

There are a few folks here who do those sort of trips. I won't name any names but maybe they'll chime in!
hvydrt

Post by hvydrt »

Ron, Cory and I did something similar to what you have in mind last March. Your plan seems possible with 3 days depending on conditions. Here is the trip report from last year, there is a map of our route if you follow the link to more photos: www.sangabrielmnts.myfreeforum.org/sutr ... ght=#33173
EastKing

Post by EastKing »

hvydrt wrote: Ron, Cory and I did something similar to what you have in mind last March. Your plan seems possible with 3 days depending on conditions. Here is the trip report from last year, there is a map of our route if you follow the link to more photos: www.sangabrielmnts.myfreeforum.org/sutr ... ght=#33173
This TR is almost exactly what our plan is for this year! THe only difference is that we were looking at going up San Gorgonio from the south side via Vivian Creek. Your pictures are excellent and detail is great. Had to comment on it, because it was exactly what I was looking for. We are down there for 8 days but this is the primary focus so we might extend a day if needed. It looks like there are a ton of 10,000 peaks all in the same area! I attached a map of what we were looking at. I have attached a map of our possible route.

Note: The blue line is optional and will only be if we feel in good enough shape to do it.