Fish Fork canyon June 24 - June 26 2011

TRs for the San Gabriel Mountains.
cougarmagic

Post by cougarmagic »

If you ask a canyoneer why they got into the sport, almost all will list their primary motivation as seeing places that are otherwise inaccessible. The more inaccessible, the better. So when Taco and Zach found Fish Fork last September, it got a lot of people salivating.

Fish Fork drains from the slopes of Mt. Baldy and Iron mountain into the upper reaches of the East Fork San Gabriel River, all of it designated Wilderness and home to our remaining bighorn sheep herds. There are no roads, and there are few trails. Taco and Zach found some old webbing anchors, so they were not the first in the canyon, but it's likely you could count on both hands the number of humans who have ever been through the whole thing.

Planning this trip took several weeks. The start and finish locations had to be scouted, and gear carefully considered. You can't bring gear for every possible situation because the pack weight would make travel impossible, and besides - you can't imagine every situation anyway. We chose sleeping bags, foam pads, harness, helmet, 3x the longest rappel of rope (80'), about 100' of webbing, full wetsuits, and 8 rap rings. We didn't carry water, because there was plenty of that all along the way. The group was 6 people - myself, Ryan, Kirk Belles, Randy Worth, Dominik Nadolski, and Randy's girlfriend Anouk (I'm sorry, I don't know her last name). I felt badly when most people in the group asked if they could bring friends, and I said no since I needed to personally know and trust everyone's abilities. Also, speed is very important and the more people there are, the slower we all go. I know a lot of people want to see this place, but it's not a trip down Rubio. Screw up here and you're probably dead.

Onto the good stuff. Friday afternoon we set up a car shuttle between Vincent Gap (our exit) and Lupine Camp. We hiked from Lupine to Upper Fish Fork camp, passing Little Fish Fork camp along the way. The trail was difficult to follow in places, but we had Matt Maxon's GPX track (THANKS Matt!) so we got there quickly. The views toward Baldy and into Fish Fork were stunning. We set up camp and had a leisurely evening joking around the campfire, listening to the water rush by.

Saturday morning we didn't feel a sense of urgency. We should have. We got moving around 8:30am. Walking along the stream here is relatively easy, and gave us a false sense of "well this isn't so bad!". Right around the first bend in the canyon we discovered a bighorn ram skeleton, complete with skull and full-curl horns. We lashed the skull to my backpack.

The first couple of rappels are beautiful and relatively easy. I wanted to list each rap with coordinates, but my GPS lost signal quickly so I only got the first two. Anyone wanting specific details about the height and configuration of raps can contact me, but we also thought it prudent not to list this as a "paint by numbers" sort of place.

By the second rap, Bill the Bighorn was feeling super heavy, and smelling like wet rotten lambchops, so he found his final resting place on a wedged log over a pool below the second rappel. We continued through spectacular narrows with some small slides, jumps and downclimbs. The third rappel is a tricky one, with strong current and an awkward start. Randy went down first, struggled with the water flow, and quickly rigged a guide line for the rest of us.

The sections between rappels here are not too tough. Just slippery, so footing is important. We had lunch in the sun, had a beautiful rappel into a nice pool, then a very long time of hiking leading up to the "big" rappel with the strong hydraulic that caused problems for Zach and Ryan. We were tired and cold when we got to this point. We took time to look for an anchor that would keep us out of the pool, but there were no good ones. We pre-rigged a haul system and decided to send our strongest swimmer, Randy, down without his pack. If he could swim out of the pool, he could anchor or hold a handline of sorts that others could use to pull themselves out. If he couldn't, we could pull him back up with the haul system.

Randy made it out. We sent all our packs down first. Dominik was second, and could not swim out of the pool himself. Randy swam out to help him, then Dominik became the anchor for the pull line. The rest of us got down easily with this system. The waterflow here was stronger than it was last September, and the waterfall is very intimidating. The noise drowns out all but the loudest whistle blasts.

After this triumph, we were all a bit jazzed (and even colder). We hiked a bit further, came to one more short rappel, then made a group decision to find a camp for the night as we were starting to stumble and it was getting dark. Ryan was concerned because he knew how much more canyon there was to go before we exited at the East Fork. We decided to eat and go straight to bed, and start as early as possible on Sunday.

Sunday morning we got moving by 6:45am (not bad for 6 tired people having to put on cold, wet wetsuits and shoes and then go stumbling around in cold water). We had three more rappels which we all said would have been incredibly fun if it was a nice warm day and we didn't have many hours of hard travel ahead.

The last 2.5 hours was the toughest. We slipped and struggled over large boulders, attempted to find shortcuts on dry land only to be turned back by fallen logs, buckthorn, and poison oak. I was glad I had my hiking poles here. They helped tremendously, and were worth the weight. The canyon is still pretty here, but we were walled in by alder trees so we didn't have the eye candy of dramatic granite walls to entertain us. Morale was low.

We got to Lower Fish Fork camp a bit ahead of our prediction, and felt much better knowing the really tough stuff was behind us. Going upstream from there isn't a walk in the park, but there are long stretches of dry land free of vegetation. It was hot. No one talked much. As we got close to Mine Gulch and knew we'd be making it out that afternoon, we took many breaks and joked around some more, proud of what we had accomplished. We met Prospecter Dave at his humble home on a pine covered bench, complete with a fence keeping out the bears. He showed us the beautiful hand carved pipes he makes, and photos of gold nuggets he pulled out of places he kept secret. Once more break at the old glider wreck in Vincent Gulch, and we headed up to the cars. A tough 3 miles when you feel you have no energy left, but nice to be on a real trail.

All smiles back at the cars from some worn out, but proud canyoneers. I feel so lucky to know these people and rely on each of your skills - technical, physical, and mental. That we laughed so much while getting repeatedly whacked in the shins with tree branches says a lot. I can't find words to express how thankful I am that this trip of a lifetime was accomplished.

Serious Disclaimer - if you want to go here, first of all you probably shouldn't. If you insist, you need one very strong swimmer (triathlete type), at least one expert in complex rigging and rescue techniques, and a lot of time and strength. Do not go in early spring. Do not go in winter. Do not go without a rescue beacon. Do not take your buddy who "has done some climbing before". I'm never this assertive, because I don't like to seem snobby or hurt anyone's feelings, but this place is serious.

Now what everyone really wants - the PICS!

http://s484.photobucket.com/albums/rr20 ... ne%202011/

Mike P

Post by Mike P »

Double "WOW" Good job!!!

(Psst... be careful about publicly mentioning taking out bighorn skulls and stuff. In the back of my mind, I think it is illegal - if they are on the endangered species list.)
Mike P

Post by Mike P »

Forgot this...

J (or others), when you mention trouble swimming out of the hole/pool, was there a "low-head dam" thing going on? or was it something different?
Taco

Post by Taco »

That was an adventure. An epic, without the injuries or other bad things that normally come with epics.

Some of my pics:

Baldy NF

Extreme

2nd time on this route!

Pool between rapps 1 and 2

Numba 2

Adios muchachos

More flow than last year

Going down!

It takes 472 muscles to frown, and zero to sit around making a dumb face.

Kirk

Dandy Randy

Our rapp ring from last year, pinned between a rock and a hard place.

Adios Dominik and Anouk

Zing!

With Kirk at the top

Badabing

Big flow! This was nothing last year.

CougarMagician and Kirk

Jump!

Aircraft throttle body/valves?

Slide!

Looking down the killer falls, site of where I got messed up last year.

Big

Kirk comes down last

Awesome place

Nothing like a nice campfire.

Kirk the Turk with his mashed barftatoes.

CM on the first rapp of the third day in.

Dominik about to get very wet

Iron on the way out. We were very tired at this point, but happy to start our next leg of the journey, known as GTFO.

Randy with his big pack resting off his back.

Album: http://s6.photobucket.com/albums/y222/T ... ?start=all

Thank you guys so much for this trip! Much better than last year, despite not getting a free helo ride this time, nor a concussion!

CM's warnings about the commitment this canyon requires are not to be taken lightly. This is a tough canyon. If you want to do it, you probably don't.
Taco

Post by Taco »

Also, some things we learned:
-Chinese astronauts used pretzels as fuel tablets during their space flights to Mongolia. Back then, nobody spoke English, only Chinese. Fires burn at around 100 degrees.
-Chinese astronauts were composed of bone sticks.
-It's slippery.
-I'm tired.
-Can we go home now?
everyday

Post by everyday »

Cool! looks like a lot of fun!
TracieB

Post by TracieB »

Amazing photos and kudos to you canyoneers! The falls and canyons are beautiful, thanks for sharing your adventure with us mere hiking fools :D
Elwood

Post by Elwood »

Taco, Ms. Magic and team:

What a forking masterpiece of canyoneering and reporting.

Thanks, thanks, thanks!

BTW, is the traverse from Pine Mtn. ridge to UFF still as crumby as I remember it?
cougarmagic

Post by cougarmagic »

Mike P wrote: (Psst... be careful about publicly mentioning taking out bighorn skulls and stuff. In the back of my mind, I think it is illegal - if they are on the endangered species list.)
Thanks Mike. Yes, this is the case - the reason being anyone could poach, and then say "oh, I just found this while hiking...", so possession of any part of a bighorn sheep without proper tags (and also mountain lions) is illegal in CA. Still - ohhh how I wanted that skull. But must have weighed 15 pounds. And had a disturbing amount of "sheep" still attached. :x

The pool has a whirlpool effect going on. I don't know why some pools have it and others don't. The surface looks quite calm, but there is a counterclockwise current that sucks you back toward the falls. We thought if you could get to the other side of the pool, the current there should carry you out, but no one wanted to mess around and try at that point.
shreddy

Post by shreddy »

Very cool! Thank you guys for sharing your stories and photos. :shock:
Zach

Post by Zach »

That place is extremely special in so many ways!

How did that "lagoon" look this year? Must have been full! I remember thinking it would be a great, albeit remote, place to set up a cougar cam.

Where did you guys camp the second night? Near the talus slope?

Again, I really wish I could have tagged along on this one... next time!

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Dominik

Post by Dominik »

This was one hell of a trip! Thank you for allowing me to take part of it! Since the write up is exquisite, I can only follow up with more photo's. I hope you all take a look at the link below as the quality will be much, much better.

http://dominikn.smugmug.com/HikingCanyo ... 280_44T5D8

Here is a sample of what you will find at the above link:

...and we are off!

Taco on guard against anything that may emerge from the pot.

Come on CM, the food is not THAT bad!

First rap! Beautiful waterfall.

CM showing us how the animals do it ;)

Gear is ready, let's go!!!

Anouk stealing the show! :)

Randy breaks into a song..........I think ;) Happy, happy, joy, joy!!!

Taco spotting a fellow climber!

Taco making friends.

Come on Taco, you can beat it!!!!

Tired, but not beaten! Not this time!!!

Here is the team, less CM who is taking the photo.

Thank you again for the fantastic adventure!!!

http://dominikn.smugmug.com/HikingCanyo ... 280_44T5D8
Mike P

Post by Mike P »

OK, Johanna, et al, this was a fascinating trip!

I happen to be on West Baldy on Saturday, 6/25, 1:00 pm looking in on Fish Fork and wondering what was down there. I took this picture. Did you folks cross over into Fish Fork anywhere in this picture? This is one area that i haven't explored (yet)

obie

Post by obie »

Wow, amazing looking places. Great pics...thanks!!
HikeUp

Post by HikeUp »

These mountains are incredible! Thanks for sharing all the pics and congrats on going wild and making it back!
Taco

Post by Taco »

Zach, the lagoon is gone, completely changed. I don't have photos of it.
norma r

Post by norma r »

F'in A!! i so wish i was worthy!!!!

damn, and i thought Eaton was fun!

cool beans to the n'th degree!

awesome TR CM!

good job all you... crazyhypothermicdandyrandytacomagiccaptainkirkanoukamieedominiki
legendsaremadeofcanyoneers!

no sequels please. this deserves to stand alone! :D :D
mattmaxon

Post by mattmaxon »

EPIC! I'm glad all are ok and a good solid team worked out the technical problems, with a mix of skills.

too bad about the skull... Very cool
So.BayMark

Post by So.BayMark »

fun weekend! Thanks for the trip report and pictures...

mark
cougarmagic

Post by cougarmagic »

BTW, is the traverse from Pine Mtn. ridge to UFF still as crumby as I remember it?
Yes. One spot in particular has a high Pucker Factor.
Did you folks cross over into Fish Fork anywhere in this picture?
Yes - at the low point just left of center in your photo, where the pine trees get dense - that's where Upper FF camp is. We came down from Pine Mtn ridge, which is the long prominent ridge taking up most of the photo.

Zach - this is the "lagoon" now! :cry: :cry: It was one of the things I was most looking forward to seeing.

Yes, we camped below the scree slope. Just barely enough room for everyone. .

Post by 406 »

Nice tr, looks like fun. I think I might like canyoneering.
spotfin

Post by spotfin »

Great report, what an adventure, glad you all made it out safe.
robnokshus

Post by robnokshus »

Thank you for the truly epic TR!

Is a 53-year-old guy to old to start cayoneering?
Taco

Post by Taco »

robnokshus wrote: Thank you for the truly epic TR!

Is a 53-year-old guy to old to start cayoneering?
Way too old. ;-)
hvydrt

Post by hvydrt »

That looks like fun. Thanks for the great trip report. I love this picture!

Zach

Post by Zach »

cougarmagic wrote:
Zach - this is the "lagoon" now! :cry: :cry: It was one of the things I was most looking forward to seeing.

Yes, we camped below the scree slope. Just barely enough room for everyone. .
No freaking way!!!! Dang, times have changed indeed. The obstruction which caused the pool must have been completely removed with all the rainfall :(

Figured it was the best spot to camp. Did you find glow sticks? :P
lilbitmo

Post by lilbitmo »

Great Trip report, pictures and adventure everyone, some of that canyon looks familiar to me :wink: only more full of water this year, I'm guessing the camping area at the confluence of the Fish Fork/East Fork has changed from the water flow as well - too bad Dav and company were not there this time to brew coffee that was way cool of them last year - nice work everyone :D
norma r

Post by norma r »

great photos Dominik!
mattmaxon

Post by mattmaxon »

The question I always ask at the end is "Would you do it again?" The ACA rating seems 4CVI
Dominik

Post by Dominik »

norma r wrote: great photos Dominik!
Thanks Norma!

It's tough making the decision between staying light and bringing a dSLR. If at let least one person appreciates it, then it was worth it's weight in gold :)