Water filters

Clothes, tools, technology, nutrition, training, techniques, etc.
AW~

Post by AW~ »

Any comments?

I just bought a Katadyn sports bottle one(vs previously carrying all water) and despite its to be found bad reviews, works fine. The only drawback for me was it didnt improve the taste of the creek(I am used to New Zealand artisian well water @Trader Joes :) ). My only other previous experience was a generic sports bottle one that filtered water excellent, but needed serious strength to squeeze.

The one I bought appeared to be a bit pricey at $30 compared to a $15 generic, but it squeezes so much easier(for now anyways)....nothing of course like those backcountry ones that pump fast.
pilot

Post by pilot »

I have a First Need Deluxe for backpacking trips. It uses no chemicals and no power but it somehow magically purifies out viruses. You can find it online for around $85. It attaches directly to a wide mouth Nalgene bottle or a compatible reservoir. It can be disassembled in the field and back flushed, if required. Mine came with a bad cartridge that failed the food coloring test but they sent me a new one and told me to throw away the bad one. I haven't used anything else so I can't compare but my friends seem to be impressed that it can fill a Nalgene bottle in about a minute.
Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

AW,

Not sure which bottle you bought, but probably the Katadyn Micro Filter Water Bottle based on the price. It looks like a pretty good one particularly since the filter element is replaceable. As long as you are filtering clear water, the filter should last a while. You could also gather untreated water in some throw away container like a used Evian bottle and pour it through a coffee filter or something to strain out organic material and sediment before you put it through your filter. My Sweetwater backpacking filter has a "prefilter" that strains out organic material and sediment before passing through the actual filter.

The filter bottle sounds like a good idea, actually. I often just carry everthing I need in terms of water and don't pack the filter since it's a bit of a hassle. If you have a nice light weight, easy to use option like the bottle, it makes filtering more attractive on day hikes.

HJ
tylenol9999

Post by tylenol9999 »

I just got and used the Katadyn Hiker Pro. I am very happy with the way it functions, it is very simple to take apart in the field if needed. It looks pretty sturdy, so it should last a while. Water flow is excellent with no detectable aftertaste.
Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

An article relevant to water purification: http://www.yosemite.org/naturenotes/DerletWater.htm

I've read many to the same effect. Not sure how well that correlates to a warmer, lower altitude place like the San Gabs. Anyone got some 411 on any of the "Big 3" local ranges (San Gabs, San Berdoos, San Jacs)?
brian90620

Post by brian90620 »

I know this is a pretty old topic :shock: but I am planning on buying a water purification device to use while hiking and backpacking in the San Gabriel's and the Sierra Nevada. I was wondering if anyone has any recomendations on which one would be the most effective, yet lightwieght and not too bulky. I have been reading reviews online about different ones but still havent made up my mind for sure. The one I seem to like the best so far is this one:
http://www.rei.com/product/671111
Does anyone own this one? Does it sound like a pretty good one. I would really appreciatate any advice anyone has to offer. Thanks :wink:
HikeUp

Post by HikeUp »

brian90620 wrote:http://www.rei.com/product/671111
Does anyone own this one?
I own that one, but I haven't had a chance to use it in the field. I did some trial tests at home and found it fairly easy to pump a liters worth (won't wear you out). The pump lever/hardware doesn't have the sturdiest of feels to it but who knows, it might last forever. I bought it before the Steripen device came out - which I would have seriously thought about instead.
simonov

Post by simonov »

Hikin_Jim wrote:An article relevant to water purification: http://www.yosemite.org/naturenotes/DerletWater.htm
Huh. I have long suspected the portable water filtering industry was a bit of a scam.
Nunc est bibendum
FIGHT ON

Post by FIGHT ON »

simonov wrote:
Hikin_Jim wrote:An article relevant to water purification: http://www.yosemite.org/naturenotes/DerletWater.htm
Huh. I have long suspected the portable water filtering industry was a bit of a scam.
How do you deal with water on your hikes and camping trips?
FIGHT ON

Post by FIGHT ON »

Hikin_Jim wrote:AW,

Not sure which bottle you bought, but probably the Katadyn Micro Filter Water Bottle based on the price. It looks like a pretty good one particularly since the filter element is replaceable. As long as you are filtering clear water, the filter should last a while. You could also gather untreated water in some throw away container like a used Evian bottle and pour it through a coffee filter or something to strain out organic material and sediment before you put it through your filter. My Sweetwater backpacking filter has a "prefilter" that strains out organic material and sediment before passing through the actual filter.

The filter bottle sounds like a good idea, actually. I often just carry everthing I need in terms of water and don't pack the filter since it's a bit of a hassle. If you have a nice light weight, easy to use option like the bottle, it makes filtering more attractive on day hikes.

HJ
Which one do you use?
simonov

Post by simonov »

FIGHT ON wrote: How do you deal with water on your hikes and camping trips?
In SoCal, I drink right from the springs. I have been a bit more nervous in the Sierras (borrowed other folks' filters last week in Cottonwood Lakes), but after reading the linked article I'm none too worried about Sierra water, either.

Now, YMMV. What seems never to be discussed is how different people react differently to different water supplies. I have been around the world and never had any problems except in North Africa, where I always have problems, every time; yet the local Moroccans don't have any problems drinking the same water. Other Americans have problems the moment they start drinking the Seine water in Paris (and Paris water really does come from the Seine). Just as with sleeping bags: I sleep warm; many other people sleep very cold.

Where does all this hysteria about pathogens in the water come from, anyway? Do any of us know people who have gotten sick from drinking local water? I don't. Articles about waterborne pathogens in Outside magazine are written mostly to enhance the revenue figures of the filter companies who advertise in Outside magazine.

Something I tell noob backpackers to remember is that the entire outdoor gear industry (including magazines, REI, gear catalogs, etc) is directed to one result: sell more gear. Some of this gear is necessary, some of it is not. Some of this year's gear is better than last years, some of it is not. As you know, much of the gear I use is over 25 years old, and doing fine.

I recognize that some folks enjoy better peace of mind if they filter their water. That's fine, it's all about enjoying yourself and having a good time. But because filtering makes some people feel better doesn't mean there are really problems with our local water.
Nunc est bibendum
FIGHT ON

Post by FIGHT ON »

simonov wrote:
FIGHT ON wrote: How do you deal with water on your hikes and camping trips?
In SoCal, I drink right from the springs. I have been a bit more nervous in the Sierras (borrowed other folks' filters last week in Cottonwood Lakes), but after reading the linked article I'm none too worried about Sierra water, either.

Now, YMMV. What seems never to be discussed is how different people react differently to different water supplies. I have been around the world and never had any problems except in North Africa, where I always have problems, every time; yet the local Moroccans don't have any problems drinking the same water. Other Americans have problems the moment they start drinking the Seine water in Paris (and Paris water really does come from the Seine). Just as with sleeping bags: I sleep warm; many other people sleep very cold.

Where does all this hysteria about pathogens in the water come from, anyway? Do any of us know people who have gotten sick from drinking local water? I don't. Articles about waterborne pathogens in Outside magazine are written mostly to enhance the revenue figures of the filter companies who advertise in Outside magazine.

Something I tell noob backpackers to remember is that the entire outdoor gear industry (including magazines, REI, gear catalogs, etc) is directed to one result: sell more gear. Some of this gear is necessary, some of it is not. Some of this year's gear is better than last years, some of it is not. As you know, much of the gear I use is over 25 years old, and doing fine.

I recognize that some folks enjoy better peace of mind if they filter their water. That's fine, it's all about enjoying yourself and having a good time. But because filtering makes some people feel better doesn't mean there are really problems with our local water.

I may think that way someday. It makes sense that lower water sources would be at more risk. But even drinking up high my ignorance and inexperience in hiking/backpacking prevents me from drinking unfiltered/untreated water. I carry all my own now but I may change someday and use available water. Makes sense if people were getting sick from drinking unfiltered water you would hear about it.
Would be nice to be able to test a water source at any location.
Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

FIGHT ON wrote:
Hikin_Jim wrote:AW,

HJ
Which one do you use?
I have a sweetwater filter. It works pretty well. I filter in areas that are well used or have a lot of human activity upstream. In areas where there is little or no upstream activity, I drink straight out of the creek or spring.
FIGHT ON

Post by FIGHT ON »

which sweetwater? I think there are two. http://www.rei.com/search?query=sweetwa ... button.y=0
Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

FIGHT ON wrote:which sweetwater? I think there are two. http://www.rei.com/search?query=sweetwa ... button.y=0
It looks like the same filter in both cases, but one comes with a bottle of chemical treatment drops.
Ze Hiker

Post by Ze Hiker »

bumping this old one.

Even though I usually just drink the water directly, I'm considering buying a filter (pump or gravity).

Suggestions? Interested in durability and ease of use.
Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

I've gotten good mileage out of my Sweetwater, and it's fairly light. Nowadays I'm mostly drinking untreated (giardia fears are way overblown). I just bought a steri-pen, so we'll see how that goes.

HJ
Taco

Post by Taco »

Now that you've run out of stoves you should become the water filter man.
MattCav

Post by MattCav »

Now that you've run out of stoves you should become the water filter man.
seconded.

i really like my katadyn hiker pro. the "pro" model comes with an adapter that hooks with the drinking tube of my hydration bladder, which i love. i've also used the katadyn my bottle (formerly the "exstream") and that is ok, but kind of hard to squeeze. i think that my next filter will be the MSR hyperflow, however. its fast as heck, the lightest one i've seen, and super easy to backflush.
Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

Taco wrote: Now that you've run out of stoves...
Ha! You ain't seen nothin' yet.

HJ
robnokshus

Post by robnokshus »

Count me in with the Sweetwater crowd. It's been a very dependable piece of gear for a long time. Pumps a large volume quickly and is very sturdy.
Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

Yeah, I've got a Sweetwater too. One of the lighter weight ones.

Of course above 10,000', why bother treating? I drink a lot of untreated water in remote/high altitude spots. No giardia.

HJ
AW~

Post by AW~ »

I now use Clear2GO Water Bottle
http://ws-na.assoc-amazon.com/widgets/cm?l=as1&f=ifr&o=1&t=tapatalk02-20&asins=B002VPRKSC

Not sure what happened to the price since I bought it at $10....best one yet...not as built to toughness as the Katadyn, but an excellent bottle....squeezes nice.
In between those 2, I had a Bota one($20-$25) that was lame for the hikes I go on.