Los Padres Spring Break

Discuss SoCal ranges other than the San Gabriels.
moppychris

Post by moppychris »

So I would like to do an over-nighter the middle next week. Wed-Thurs. My friends and I usually go to Tar Creek and waterfall jump, but the road is closed and we don't feel like walking up it and down into Tar creek. So I was thinking about another option up there. Anyone have any suggestions?
I wouldn't mind bagging a peak, but I got to have water too. I saw a little hike to Willett Hot Springs. This trail crowded? If so, anything better?
You guys are a good help. Thanks.
-Chris
bsmith

Post by bsmith »

moppychris wrote: So I would like to do an over-nighter the middle next week. Wed-Thurs. My friends and I usually go to Tar Creek and waterfall jump, but the road is closed and we don't feel like walking up it and down into Tar creek. So I was thinking about another option up there. Anyone have any suggestions?
I wouldn't mind bagging a peak, but I got to have water too. I saw a little hike to Willett Hot Springs. This trail crowded? If so, anything better?
You guys are a good help. Thanks.
-Chris
up this way we've had quite a bit of rain. and snow in the higher elevations. even with the upcoming warm weather - which could make your trip to willet quite enjoyable - be mindful of the creek crossings. there's still quite a bit of snow on the north side of the topatopas which drains to the sespe.

numerous people were pulled out by sar last weekend due to being unprepared for the upcoming weather and rising waters at creek crossing.

info here:
http://local.nixle.com/alert/4668987/

for water flow in that area, go here:
http://www.vcwatershed.net/fws/VCAHPS/php/getmap.php

be careful, but have a great trip!
moppychris

Post by moppychris »

Thanks for the info. Those two links are very helpful. Turns out the forecast calls for temps in the 80s, so I think this will be a winner.
Thanks again!
moppychris

Post by moppychris »

So I thought I would give an update on where I went instead of the Sespe.
I heard and saw from the link above the water levels were too high to cross all three crossings to Willet hot spring, plus, looking at pictures of the spring reminded me of a hot fart jacuzzi at a water park.

Instead, I decided to go to San Diego to get the most of the spring weather and visit Palomar Observatory State park. I was expecting more open(public) lands, so we trespassed and almost got shot by the mendenhall family(shhh...we took their paddle boat for a ride). The backpacking trip turned into a kind of "walk with your backpack on and go to different trail heads by car" trip. We followed a lot of fire breaks.

Overall, Palomar was empty. No people. But, there were birds, lizards, deer, wild turkey, cows, ticks, and frogs around every stream. The natural screams of animals was much enjoyed. The image was Sierra-esc foot hills, inscence ceder, sugar pines, oaks, and dawg wood.

After San Diego, we decided to go check out the Santa Ana mts to go swimming. Hot weather (in the 90's) and cool water made it a great end to this mini road trip.

On the way home, at dusk, we veered off the 405 and took a ride on that free balloon ride in the making of the great park in irvine. It was silly, but might as well, its free.
Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

Kinda cool. Except for the almost getting shot part.

HJ