hines peak

Discuss SoCal ranges other than the San Gabriels.
edenooch

Post by edenooch »

Hello. I think this would be a nice one!
Any one hike this latley? any info?
mattmaxon

Post by mattmaxon »

edenooch wrote:Hello. I think this would be a nice one!
Any one hike this latley? any info?
Not recently...

You need a permit to drive to the trailhead, though it is possible to hike up on the Sisar Trail. That could be a tad on the warm side this time of year

I have a GPX if you want it...

Matt
norma r

Post by norma r »

i have some friends that i believe did it recently. i will send a link to this thread and see if they have something to share with you.
lakenyon

Post by lakenyon »

I agree it's likely to be hot now. I hiked Hines Peak and Topatopa Bluff last spring via Sisar Canyon. The canyon was beautiful and it's a nice peak, although a good portion of the route is on a dirt road.

The route to Hines Peak that interests me the most is via Santa Paula Canyon. The Tom Harrison map shows the Last Chance Trail going through to the ridge, but when I visited it a year or two ago the trail appeared to vanish after Jackson Hole, leading to a potentially severe bushwhack. An attempt by the HPS in 1994 was unsuccessful. Has anyone done this?
mattmaxon

Post by mattmaxon »

lakenyon wrote:The route to Hines Peak that interests me the most is via Santa Paula Canyon. The Tom Harrison map shows the Last Chance Trail going through to the ridge, but when I visited it a year or two ago the trail appeared to vanish after Jackson Hole, leading to a potentially severe bushwhack. An attempt by the HPS in 1994 was unsuccessful. Has anyone done this?
It's my understanding that volunteers have been out there, what progress has been made ?

I'll inquire around to see if anyone I know in that area who'd be inclined to severe bushwhacking has done this trip....

The 2006 Day Fire burned down Santa Paula Canyon down to the 2950 level

Click to download file
edenooch

Post by edenooch »

Highly doable! i checked the permit thing. You only need a permit if your driving on the OHV roads!
Rick Kent

Post by Rick Kent »

I've been curious about that Santa Paula canyon approach as well. If you go that way let us know what the conditions were like.
AW~

Post by AW~ »

edenooch

Post by edenooch »

dam. that better not be the trail to hines peak. That area is all jacked up! Low lives & theft!!!!
Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

edenooch wrote:dam. that better not be the trail to hines peak. That area is all jacked up! Low lives & theft!!!!
Hey, Taco, how much C-4 can be packed into the space the size of a wallet? Oh, and same some room for a detonater. :twisted:
Taco

Post by Taco »

Hikin_Jim wrote:
edenooch wrote:dam. that better not be the trail to hines peak. That area is all jacked up! Low lives & theft!!!!
Hey, Taco, how much C-4 can be packed into the space the size of a wallet? Oh, and same some room for a detonater. :twisted:
4-6 ounces, plus an M4 blasting cap, if you're old school. Don't need much after that, maybe some simple circuit?

HELLO FBI
Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

TacoDelRio wrote:
Hikin_Jim wrote:
4-6 ounces, plus an M4 blasting cap, if you're old school. Don't need much after that, maybe some simple circuit?

HELLO FBI
:lol:
Taco

Post by Taco »

bsmith

Post by bsmith »

lakenyon wrote:The route to Hines Peak that interests me the most is via Santa Paula Canyon. The Tom Harrison map shows the Last Chance Trail going through to the ridge, but when I visited it a year or two ago the trail appeared to vanish after Jackson Hole, leading to a potentially severe bushwhack. An attempt by the HPS in 1994 was unsuccessful. Has anyone done this?
Yes, earlier this year, but the hike was a loop / shuttle - going up Sisar Canyon / Red Reef Trail / Last Chance Trail past Hines Peak - one woman summitted while the bulk of the group continued down the Last Chance - down Santa Paula Canyon to the trail head and a car shuttle back up to Sisar Canyon trail head.
There were about 10 of us - I was the newcomer - and fortunately most of the rest had been down this trail at least once in the past.
It is not marked, although the trail tread can be seen and followed in many places.
Poodle dog - a fire-follower plant we'll be seeing when they open up the Angeles again - was quite prevalent, being 2 1/2 years after the Day Fire in this area.
Without having the experienced folks to seek out the trail - often one group would head right only to be called back the other way - it would be a real adventure to find your way down and out.
The best time of year - when the days are long - would also be the hottest - and there was no water in the upper reaches.
Some bushwacking involved, but nothing major at that time.
It was an adventure!
IMHO - do it top to bottom.
And the trail head sign from the Sheriff's Dept? - Believe it. The knuckleheads up this way live too close to the trail heads and know we'll be gone a while.
cougarmagic

Post by cougarmagic »

bsmith - LOVE your signature quote!!
bsmith

Post by bsmith »

cougarmagic wrote:bsmith - LOVE your signature quote!!
thanks!

after visiting your website for the first time - wow - very cool - i can see why you'd like the quote. it's you!

the majority of my hiking takes place in the los padres and we see tracks of bear and cougar frequently - as recently as three days ago on the chorro grande trail - see norma r's report and pix of 4" tracks superimposed over our uphill tracks. but i have yet to see one live.
dgrimreaper

Post by dgrimreaper »

I hiked Sawmill and Pinos last week. Driving up to the trailhead, a bear cub raced across the road directly in front of us. Didn't see Momma bear, but that was an amazing sight! And it happened so quickly, didn't get a chance to get a picture.
edenooch

Post by edenooch »

gas mask! awesome!