Teton crest trail 7/22-8/1

Archived TRs for ranges outside California.
Bill

Post by Bill »

Better late than never!
I had been looking forward to this trip for years. I was a little apprehensive though as we approached Teton National park since I had been told of consistent thunder storms basically all summer long. (All the rain really contributed to a spectacular bonanza of flowers) By the time we arrived however, the weather had cleared, and it was a peasant 85 degrees in Jackson.
We had 9 in our group, some of whom had never met, but we all melded together nicely. This was also a first for my 3 boys backpacking altogether and I could not have been more proud of them (They got along like strangers 8).
We started out around noon on 7/29 and set out from the tram at Teton village, and hiked around 4-1/2 miles to Middle/Southfork CG. We had to stay at this location because of the size of our group, but it was a good little warm-up and a beautiful site with tall trees. We were treated with a couple of deer in the morning and a little light rain.
Day two took us by Marion lake, and we were again inundated with views of majestic peaks and abundant flowers as we made our way to Death Canyon shelf, and a really nice camp. We made camp ate our dinner and during sunset sat at the edge of the shelf looking down on the creek below where we spotted a moose down in the valley 8) and also spotted Bighorn sheep on the cliffs above. Amazing!
Day three took us into Alaska basin and more beautiful views (ho-hum) honestly this trip will spoil you, and words really don't do justice to this area. We ended up taking over a thousand pictures and video between the 9 of us but I will only subject you to a couple dozen. :lol:
We ended up camping at Sunset lake (as a couple in our group fell a little behind) This was another beauty, and we really enjoyed this site except for the mosquitos who were abundant here. :shock: In the early morning we spotted a group of what looked like Elk on the cliffs toward Hurricane pass that struck a majestic profile. (Took pictures but they were difficult to see) :?
Day four took us through Hurricane pass, and again amazing views of the Tetons and Idaho in the distance. We were originally going to complete the trip by going through Paintbrush Canyon, but we decided to bug out along Cascade canyon instead, which made for a long day but allowed us a full day in Jackson for those who needed to catch a flight home. Also allowed the chance to eat at Bubba's BBQ (My favorite 8) )
I can't recommed this hike enough, and I know I will be back! :D
http://www.flickr.com/photos/30922174@N06/show/
lilbitmo

Post by lilbitmo »

That is one nice set of photos, thanks for sharing.

Looks like a place a man could get lost in "On purpose" for a good week or two :D

Nice work Bill

Looks like a fun vacation for you and the boys :D
EnFuego

Post by EnFuego »

Nice photos Bill. That area looks so green. Complete contrast from this area. I noticed in one picture a moose. Did you see many?
Cy Kaicener

Post by Cy Kaicener »

Nice photos Bill. Here are some more pictures and T/R
http://www.summitpost.org/trip-report/5 ... eport.html
Bill

Post by Bill »

EnFuego wrote:Nice photos Bill. That area looks so green. Complete contrast from this area. I noticed in one picture a moose. Did you see many?
We saw one lone moose below Death Canyon shelf, and 3 moose near the bottom of Cascade canyon near Jenny Lake. We also saw several deer, what I believe were elk from a distance and Bighorn sheep above Death canyon perched precariously along the cliffs. 8)
lilbitmo wrote:That is one nice set of photos, thanks for sharing.

Looks like a place a man could get lost in "On purpose" for a good week or two :D

Nice work Bill

Looks like a fun vacation for you and the boys :D
We had a blast! :D
Cy Kaicener wrote:Nice photos Bill. Here are some more pictures and T/R
http://www.summitpost.org/trip-report/5 ... eport.html
Wow 8) is all I can say!
Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

Nice hiking! I guess you guys like JetBoils. :wink:

Dang, that pic with the field of pink flowers was incredible.

It's been a long time since I've been up that way ... too long.
AW~

Post by AW~ »

Such a pretty area....seems like you get extra time out of a 24hr day there.
Bill

Post by Bill »

Hikin_Jim wrote: I guess you guys like JetBoils. :wink:
Yup. That Jetboil really cranks out the hot water! Speaking of hot water, I really wish Starbucks would come up with a teabag type configuration. :? Out of desparation, I have resorted to cutting coffee filters and filling em with French roast. :lol:
As for those flowers, they were truly amazing! 8)
Funyan005

Post by Funyan005 »

I love my jetboil, it boils water pretty damn quickly.
Also, are you looking for something for tea or for coffee? There is an instant coffee they sell that you let sit in hot water.
Bill

Post by Bill »

Funyan005 wrote:I love my jetboil, it boils water pretty damn quickly.
Also, are you looking for something for tea or for coffee? There is an instant coffee they sell that you let sit in hot water.
Are you saying Starbucks makes an instant coffee? :shock:
Boy, do I feel dumb! :oops: I am all over that! :D
Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

Bill wrote:
Hikin_Jim wrote: I guess you guys like JetBoils. :wink:
Yup. That Jetboil really cranks out the hot water! Speaking of hot water, I really wish Starbucks would come up with a teabag type configuration. :? Out of desparation, I have resorted to cutting coffee filters and filling em with French roast. :lol:
As for those flowers, they were truly amazing! 8)
I'm not sure that it's from Starbucks, but I have seen tea bag style coffee out there.

Also JetBoil sells a kit that essentially acts as a french press when you use it in conjunction with the PCS cup. Can't get too much better than that. :)

Here's a couple of things I saw on the web (below). Not sure if these particular ones are available in the US, but I have seen something before here in the US.
http://www.coffeeperfection.com/coffee-bags.php
http://www.onecafe.se/DefaultDesktop.aspx?pageid=3

The second link looks like they're just dumping something into the water, but they're not; it really is a coffee bag. Look closely at this: http://www.onecafe.se/Upload/Media/Bran ... ec2006.wmv
He219

Post by He219 »

Hikin_Jim wrote:JetBoil sells a kit that essentially acts as a french press when you use it in conjunction with the PCS cup. Can't get too much better than that. :)
I like my jetboil but coffee grinds pass by the collapsible baffle on the french press .. same with a nalgene press .. so I got this cowboy coffee adaptor instead.
Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

He219 wrote:
Hikin_Jim wrote:JetBoil sells a kit that essentially acts as a french press when you use it in conjunction with the PCS cup. Can't get too much better than that. :)
I like my jetboil but coffee grinds pass by the collapsible baffle on the french press .. same with a nalgene press .. so I got this cowboy coffee adaptor instead.
That's disappointing that the French Press component of JetBoil doesn't work well, but that filter you linked to looks light weight and low bulk. Looks like a winner.