Angeles National Forest likley to be reopened on 11-8-07

Rescues, fires, weather, roads, trails, water, etc.
hvydrt

Post by hvydrt »

I just spoke with someone at the Mt. Baldy Visitor center and they told me "Angeles National Forest tentatively to be reopened on Thursday 11-8-07".

So I guess that means it will be open???
Rick Kent

Post by Rick Kent »

Thanks for the update! Let's cross our fingers.
Taco

Post by Taco »

WOOHOO!

8)
Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

The same date has been posted on San Gorgonio Wilderness Assoc. board, so this looks pretty legit.
The Forest Supervisor, Jeanne Wade Evans, has rescinded the Forest Closure Order No. 07-6 effective November 8th (Thurday) 2007. Fire Restrictions Order No. 07-5 are still in effect. Call Mill Creek Ranger Station for additional information.
AlanK

Post by AlanK »

The news media are starting to carry stories about the re-opening of the ANF. :D
Angeles National Forest To Reopen After Wildfires

POSTED: 11:07 am PST November 7, 2007
UPDATED: 11:25 am PST November 7, 2007
LOS ANGELES -- The Angeles National Forest, closed recently due to wildfires, will reopen for recreation Thursday, and the Cleveland National Forest will reopen Saturday.

The reopening of the Angeles National Forest includes both the northern swath, stretching from the Kern County line to the Antelope Valley (14) Freeway, and the southern section including the San Gabriel Mountain Range, according to the U.S. Forest Service.

Since shortly after the firestorm that started Oct. 21, only forest-through roads, such as the Angeles (2) Crest and Ortega (74) highways, have been open to the public. All campgrounds and trails have been off-limits, except for individuals or groups with special permits from the U.S. Forest Service.

Because of damage from the Buckweed and Ranch fires in northern Los Angeles County, some areas will stay closed until rehabilitation efforts are completed, Sherry Rollman of the Forest Service said.

Some closures that were in effect before the recent wildfires remain in place. For more information, visit the Web site www.fs.fed.us/r5/angeles.

Also reopening Thursday will be parts of the Los Padres and San Bernardino national forests that were closed during the wildfires, Rollman said.

The closure in the Cleveland National Forest will be lifted on Saturday.

"With the lack of rain, the risk of wildfire in the forests is steadily increasing," Rollman said.

"It is important that everyone remains 'situationally aware' of their surroundings and the responsibilities associated with visiting the forest," Rollman said.
Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

Interesting that the ANF website doesn't say anything about it. I wish they'd keep their site up to date.
MikeSash

Post by MikeSash »

The forest closed signs up at big rock were taken down today
SoCalJP74

Post by SoCalJP74 »

The Los Padres NF website announced re-opening
Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

As did the SBNF website. The ANF is just a little behind. :)
AlanK

Post by AlanK »

Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

Well, in that case, I'm officially happy. :)
hvydrt

Post by hvydrt »

I did a small loop in the Ice House canyon area yesterday. When I arrived at 6am the parking lot was blocked, and there were signs saying "closed". I parked on the street and started hiking. When I returend about 1pm the parking lot was open and all signs were removed.