Zion/Bryce/Vegas August 2008

Archived TRs for ranges outside California.
JMunaretto

Post by JMunaretto »

Zion is simply awesome. I'm not very skilled at taking pictures, but anyone can get a couple of great shots round these parts.

Had basically 3 days to fit in Zion and Bryce, which is of course not enough to do everything, but enough to get a great taste of what these parks have to offer.

Camped out starting Sunday night and Monday we managed to hike Angel's Landing and part of the the Narrows.

Angel's Landing is a reasonably strenuous hike though not very long with the first 2 miles on generally steep concrete trail. You then reach a point where a ridge juts out into the middle of the canyon, and the end of this ridge is Angel's Landing. The climb along this portion is kinda like Strawberry Peak's west side on steroids. There are chains to help you up, and the views are amazing.

After heading back down, we checked out more of the West Rim Trail. We probably only went up about a mile, but got to a lookout point that gave great views, especially where the sandstone changed from red to yellow.

Once we got back down, we headed north to the start of the trail by the Narrows. Once we got to the water, the skies had quickly clouded over and thunder could be heard in the distance. We got about 1/2 mile upstream before having to turn around due to the eminent thunderstorms.

On the 2nd day, we headed to Bryce. Bryce is very cool with such interesting rock formations. We got to do several hikes, but I think some of the views were repetitive, so I think one day was sufficient. Of course, I'm sure there are a lot of backcountry trails that would argue with that.

Went back to Zion and on the 3rd day, we did hikes up to Hidden Canyon, Weeping Rock, and Emerald Pools. Hidden Canyon was really cool, the others were okay. I think at that point we were ready for a little break from hiking / camping.

Then it was time for Vegas! One big night included eating at some fancy Japanese Restaurant Nobu (black cod is so freaking good), Cirque do Soleil show 'Ka', and some roulette gambling. The gf won $80, I won $40, so a good night.

Next day we relaxed by the pool, then headed back home. Great week.
JMunaretto

Post by JMunaretto »

I have to say, I already want to go back to Zion and get in some more back country hikes. Specifically, I want to hike the Narrows top to bottom, as well as the Subway and trails around Kolob Canyon. I would do the Angel's Landing hike again as well.

Also, the drive on the 9 to the east entrance was filled with great vistas as well.
Taco

Post by Taco »

Zion is badass. Too many nice walls.
Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

JMunaretto wrote:I have to say, I already want to go back to Zion and get in some more back country hikes. Specifically, I want to hike the Narrows top to bottom, as well as the Subway and trails around Kolob Canyon. I would do the Angel's Landing hike again as well.
I did the Narrows top to bottom a few years ago. Great hike. You can camp 1/2 way down, but it's a very doable day hike. Bring a walking stick; they really help with balance in the water.

Kolob Canyon looks really interesting. I've been wanting to get over there for some time if for no other reason than it's away from the main tourist areas.

Re photos, I don't know what you're talking about; you took some great photos. Love the Angel's Landing ones. You did a good job of capturing the steepness of the terrain and the overall feel of the hike.

Bro, you do realize how spoiled you are, right? A girlfriend that not only likes to hike but drives a bulldozer You scored, bro! :lol:

And me? I just had a long talking to by my wife as to just exactly why she would never even consider taking a pee in the woods. :(

P.S. Very cool Stellars Jay pics.
Tim

Post by Tim »

It's too bad you only made it half a mile up the Narrows. But looks like you had a good time elsewhere.

I really like Zion. I'm not religious or even spritual but that place really feels special, even mystical, for some reason. The last time I was there in November, I spent an entire day at Angels Landing. I was there from morning to sunset. I went up and down the "fun part" several consecutive times. I was mainly there to do some photography but it was fun to observe the reactions of different people as they climbed the rock. I also went off-trail beyond the West Rim trail to locate the same spot that a postcard picture of Angels Landing was taken from.
FIGHT ON

Post by FIGHT ON »

Hikin_Jim wrote:And me? I just had a long talking to by my wife as to just exactly why she would never even consider taking a pee in the woods. :(
:shock: This subject was not discussed prior to your wedding day???
Big Jim,. I am shocked!
In the world of "Dude Hikers" who plan on marriage, THIS IS THE BIGGEST BLUNDER OF ALL TIME!
JMunaretto

Post by JMunaretto »

yes, a big hell yeah for the gf!
Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

:lol:

So, bro, what's up with the vulture with the "6" on it? Could you tell if the marking was directly on the bird, or was it on a tag affixed to the bird?

I guess it's there so that wildlife biologists can identify it as it flies.
JMunaretto

Post by JMunaretto »

looked like a tag on the bird. there was another bird there with # 236. so I guess there are a lot of em.
Tim

Post by Tim »

Btw, that's a California Condor. They were released in Vermillion Cliffs in northern Arizona in the late 90's and some of them flew all the way to Zion. They like to nest in the side of the shear cliffs below Angels Landing. I saw a couple of them last year. They fly so effortlessly in the thermals that rise up from the canyon.
Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

Ah, no wonder they're tracking them. They are a (very) endangered species.

That's cool that there are a few in the wild. Are you aware of any estimates of how many condors there are in AZ/UT?
Tim

Post by Tim »

There are 64 in AZ/UT and maybe a few chicks. I think one ranger told me there are 6 or 8 who live near Angels Landing. I personally saw 4 or so. Some of the condors regularly travel between from Utah and the South Rim of the Grand Canyon.

http://www.nps.gov/grca/naturescience/c ... ondors.htm
http://www.peregrinefund.org/released_condorsinfo.asp
Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

Kewl linx.