Mountain treasure: WW2-era water canteen

Trip planning, history, announcements, books, movies, opinions, etc.
dima

Post by dima »

I found this cool old canteen in Eaton Canyon last week. It says "A.G.M. Co 1945" on it. The internet tells me that these were issues to military people. A mile or so upstream I found some plane parts last month. The thought was that these came from a 1941 wreck of an AT-6. Initially I thought the canteen might be related to that, but when that plane crashed, this this hasn't been manufactured yet. Where did it come from??
canteen.jpg
Sean

Post by Sean »

Some war vet gave it to his son and his son promptly dropped it over a cliff.
dima

Post by dima »

Yeah. Probably in 2017, or something.
Girl Hiker

Post by Girl Hiker »

It came from the aliens and they want it back.
3oEjHB1lWgaM1WJ4fS.gif
tekewin

Post by tekewin »

That's wild.

In the 1940s, was a metal canteen the most efficient way to carry water?

Was it made of aluminum or tin?
dima

Post by dima »

It's Aluminum. Searching for "agm co 1945" produces multiple hits. The "a" stands for aluminum. It's thick, and probably still usable, actually. Maybe I'll just use it!
Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

Awesome find. Serious cool factor. :)

One of the big debates when I was a kid was between aluminum vs. plastic water bottles/canteens. Plastic was frequently brittle but pretty quickly improved as I got older and eventually won out for the most part -- although lately I'm seeing a lot of people hiking with double walled steel (!) Hydroflask bottles. Hmmm. Maybe they'd like to carry a few lead ingots as well?

The debate these days is more hard-sided (like a Nalgene) vs. soft sided bladders. Bladders are no where near as durable but pack a whole lot better when empty and are super lightweight. A standard Nalgene is 6 oz. -- empty. A bladder, depending on the material, is maybe 1 oz for 1 liter. For short hikes, it doesn't make much difference, but if you need to carry 4 litters, you're carrying a pound and a half of dead weight if you're using Nalgenes.

HJ
tekewin

Post by tekewin »

Hikin_Jim wrote: Awesome find. Serious cool factor. :)

One of the big debates when I was a kid was between aluminum vs. plastic water bottles/canteens. Plastic was frequently brittle but pretty quickly improved as I got older and eventually won out for the most part -- although lately I'm seeing a lot of people hiking with double walled steel (!) Hydroflask bottles. Hmmm. Maybe they'd like to carry a few lead ingots as well?

The debate these days is more hard-sided (like a Nalgene) vs. soft sided bladders. Bladders are no where near as durable but pack a whole lot better when empty and are super lightweight. A standard Nalgene is 6 oz. -- empty. A bladder, depending on the material, is maybe 1 oz for 1 liter. For short hikes, it doesn't make much difference, but if you need to carry 4 litters, you're carrying a pound and a half of dead weight if you're using Nalgenes.

HJ
Great analysis HJ.
HikeUp

Post by HikeUp »

tekewin wrote:
Hikin_Jim wrote: Awesome find. Serious cool factor. :)

HJ
Great analysis HJ.
Ask him about stoves! I dare ya. ;)
tekewin

Post by tekewin »

HikeUp wrote: Ask him about stoves! I dare ya. ;)
I've read his stove article a couple of times already ;)
Sean

Post by Sean »

Which type of container is best depends on a few factors, weight, durability, risk of damage, etc. These days my hikes usually involve a very low risk of damage, so I go for the lightest plastic bottles possible. If I had to fight German soldiers in the trenches, I might opt for an aluminum canteen.
Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

Sean wrote: Which type of container is best depends on a few factors, weight, durability, risk of damage, etc. These days my hikes usually involve a very low risk of damage, so I go for the lightest plastic bottles possible. If I had to fight German soldiers in the trenches, I might opt for an aluminum canteen.
I might opt for Kevlar. ?
HJ