New Peak name

TRs for the San Gabriel Mountains.
JeffH

Post by JeffH »

I blame social media which allows virtually anyone to be a hero for taking a walk and holding a sign.
So I went out for a walk on Sunday morning, it was wet and misty enough that I had to use the wipers on my drive to Glendora where I arrived at the Big Dalton Wilderness Park just as the gates opened. I trudged up Mystic Canyon, taking the shortcut to the last part of poopout trail and then went up punkout. From there it was a quick jaunt to the lofty summit of Peak 2760 where I had some glorious solitude that was unfortunately broken by the sounds of Subarus charging up Glendora Mountain Road across the canyon. After a hiker breakfast of hot cocoa plus a granola bar I walked back down on the Monroe Truck Trail. The trails were quite wet, as the mustard and grasses drooped in the path so I was cold and damp when I got back to the car.
After all that I managed to get home in time to not help put anything together for the neighborhood gathering later that morning.
For what it's worth, my phone showed the elevation as 2730, AllTrails claimed it to be 2705.

The title of the story.
IMG_9187.jpg

Early part of the trail - no great views today except for lots of plants.
IMG_9167.jpg

While going up this part of poopout there were a few guys carrying firefighting tools up and down - nice workout.
IMG_9170.jpg

Punkout.
IMG_9172.jpg

Rock climbing.
IMG_9176.jpg

Summit.
IMG_9184.jpg

Breakfast time.
IMG_9190.jpg

Tiny flowers weighted down by water droplets.
IMG_9193.jpg

Lupine, Buckwheat and Poison Oak. Lots of PO, had to really watch the edges of the trail.
IMG_9195.jpg

Spanish Broom.
IMG_9213.jpg
"Argue for your limitations and sure enough they're yours".
Donald Shimoda
Sean

Post by Sean »

As long as we can name 3397 "Far Out" I'll be happy.
Girl Hiker

Post by Girl Hiker »

Thanks for the update. I havent been to punk out and poop out in years!
I remember one year it was loaded with wildflowers.
JeffH

Post by JeffH »

Sean wrote: As long as we can name 3397 "Far Out" I'll be happy.
Maybe I'll walk up there next weekend to see if anyone has posted a sign. Or should I just make my own and carry it up?
"Argue for your limitations and sure enough they're yours".
Donald Shimoda
Sean

Post by Sean »

JeffH wrote:
Sean wrote: As long as we can name 3397 "Far Out" I'll be happy.
Maybe I'll walk up there next weekend to see if anyone has posted a sign. Or should I just make my own and carry it up?
Definitely make your own. But maybe we should spell it "Phar Out" to preserve the "P" pattern.
nakagawaallison

Post by nakagawaallison »

Agreed. Make your own