Looking for a long hike/jog partner, Silver Moc trail single day push

Trip planning, history, announcements, books, movies, opinions, etc.
mikeywally

Post by mikeywally »

my goal is to do Vincent gap to chantry flat unsupported in under 24 hours.
i was wondering if anyone was interested.
gaia gps say 47.7 miles, 14,696 ascent, 19,451 descent.
april 23, 24? April 30?

ALSO, if someone would like to do it in two parts with a sleep over at horse flats or chilao lemme know.

sorry if this is the wrong area of the forum to post, let me know where would be more appropriate.
Sean

Post by Sean »

Hi Mikey,

FYI - The Silver Moccasin is still closed between the Angeles Crest Highway and Chantry Flats due to damage from the Bobcat Fire.
mikeywally

Post by mikeywally »

thanks sean,

hmm, chilao to alder creek to camp colby to red box and on might be too spicy, or just what I'm looking for . . .
Sean

Post by Sean »

mikeywally wrote: thanks sean,

hmm, chilao to alder creek to camp colby to red box and on might be too spicy, or just what I'm looking for . . .
If you don't want to walk the ACH from Shortcut to Redbox, you can go up the Barley Flats Road, then follow the ridge to Lawlor and drop down to Redbox on the Strawberry Peak Trail.

From Redbox you can go up the Wilson Road to the Disappointment Road and take either the trail or road up to San Gabriel Peak, then drop down to the Lowe Road and choose your adventure down to the city.
mikeywally

Post by mikeywally »

Sean wrote:
mikeywally wrote: thanks sean,

If you don't want to walk the ACH from Shortcut to Redbox, you can go up the Barley Flats Road, then follow the ridge to Lawlor and drop down to Redbox on the Strawberry Peak Trail.

From Redbox you can go up the Wilson Road to the Disappointment Road and take either the trail or road up to San Gabriel Peak, then drop down to the Lowe Road and choose your adventure down to the city.
yeah i dont wanna be on the ACH at all. thanks for the suggestion.

from google maps the ridge to lawlor looks bushy. i know i can get from chilao to upper big tujunga with relative ease. it will eat up tons of time though cause i cant jog that section at all. any beta on lawlor ridge?
Sean

Post by Sean »

mikeywally wrote: any beta on lawlor ridge?
From 2015. Both the ridge route and the old road along the south slope weren't in great shape. Maybe someone knows if the firebreak was restored during the Bobcat Fire?
dima

Post by dima »

I walked that ridge a few years ago. I think it was a minor bushwhack; nothing terrible. It was also quite short. Could be different now. Also, I could be interested in doing that route with you, but definitely not in April; too much other stuff going on.
Uncle Rico

Post by Uncle Rico »

I was up on Lawlor earlier today. The firebreak from Lawlor to Barley Flats looked pretty clear from where I was sitting. The firebreak is well defined and doesn't appear to be overgrown.
20220410_124006.jpg

I didn't try to walk it so I can't say for sure, but the old road didn't look that promising.
20220410_124332.jpg