Rescue at Icehouse Canyon

Rescues, fires, weather, roads, trails, water, etc.
dima

Post by dima »

So this happened: https://www.latimes.com/california/stor ... -ice-chute

Anybody heard more? Where was he, exactly?
jeko1034

Post by jeko1034 »

dima wrote:So this happened: https://www.latimes.com/california/stor ... -ice-chute

Anybody heard more? Where was he, exactly?

Looks like right on the face.
dima

Post by dima »

Oh, interesting. The SAR link in that article says he was in Icehouse Canyon, not on Baldy. Wonder if this is it, or if there was a rescue on Baldy too
Sean

Post by Sean »

Is there a place where you can slide 900 feet off Ice House? Seems exaggerated. Also, I've seen helos circle Baldy and practice land near the summit. Maybe the spotter helo landed on Baldy.
dima

Post by dima »

If you're on the trail, I think there're some steep areas as you climb out of the drainage to the saddle. If you're off the trail, you can slide further :)
Taco

Post by Taco »

Compass heading from camera helo to rescue helo is 252*, WSW. Not sure where exactly that would be in Ricehouse. Wild ass guess if its on Baldy, that would probably be the south end of the bowl where there are trees and more people go up, especially those without an axe etc.

The media in general blows everything out of proportion and is wildly inaccurate about anything. Putin could blow up the moon with a moon laser and say it to everyone on the news and they’d still manage to fuck that up. I am particularly annoyed at the “trail gave way” thing. Anyway.

Goes without saying real crampons and an ice axe and the SIMPLE KNOWLEDGE AND TRAINING on how to use them as SECOND NATURE is vital.

I hope he’s doing alright.