Road work on Sunset

TRs for the San Gabriel Mountains.
JeffH

Post by JeffH »

The day after Thanksgiving I drug some of the family out for a hike so we went up to Sunset Peak. Walked up the ridge route (two people bailed when we crossed the road and took that the rest of the way) and down the fire road. After a break on the summit waiting for the others to show up - which didn't happen - and the obligatory hot chocolate enjoyment, we walked down the southeast ridge to the road and then the three miles back. Since GMR was closed we had to park in Baldy Village, which made for a good excuse to visit the Lodge where we put away some burgers and Cokes.
I noticed while up there that some bulldozer work had been done, it seems like a reaction to the short but hot fire last August. The brush near the west side of the summit was burned, and a larger swath near the intersection of the two fire roads. Now there is a new fire break running to the peaklet south of Sunset, which also is the high point on the alternate ridge route. Along with that the tiny steep trail up to the summit is now a broader, flatter but still steep trail.

pics.....

Had to park in the village so we walked up the road.
IMG_8554.jpg

View back over to Lookout and Baldy. It was a very warm day in the sunshine and we were lucky to not have wind.
IMG_8556.jpg

I'm bringing up the rear since some were a little slower
IMG_8562.jpg

The rest of the crew trudging up the loose little switchbacks.
IMG_8567.jpg

Burnt brush on the summit.
IMG_8568.jpg

This would have been an interesting ride to carve this out, can also see the new cut on the other ridge.
IMG_8576.jpg

Lots of phos-check on the rocky hillside as we walked down the road.
IMG_8578.jpg

More burned stuff where the fire jumped the road.
IMG_8583.jpg

Bigfoot believers in Baldy Village.
IMG_8586.jpg

AllTrails calculated it as 7 miles and about 1700 feet of gain. It was a good way to work off some of the Thursday feast.
"Argue for your limitations and sure enough they're yours".
Donald Shimoda
Sean
Cucamonga

Post by Sean »

JeffH wrote: Bigfoot believers in Baldy Village.
Is the Bigfoot sign still along the road en route to the Village? Maybe those people put that sign up as well.