Questions about West Fork NRT, Rincon OHV Route, and Bear Canyon Trail

Trip planning, history, announcements, books, movies, opinions, etc.
David Martin

Post by David Martin »

As I’ve mentioned before, most of my SG hikes this past year have been part of a clockwise circumnavigation of the range, starting from my buddy’s house in Glendale. Most of our routes have involved car shuttles. Though we still need to do the North Backbone route from Blue Ridge to Baldy (waiting for a super clear day) and we plan a few bonus hikes east of Baldy, we're now at the 39/East Fork junction, puzzling over our limited options for continuing west. The Harrison map shows no east-west trails from there, and I assume that is correct.

The “West Fork National Recreational Trail” heads west from Rincon. Dima told me that the Bobcat fire started around Glenn, near its western end. The USDA site state: “The trail is closed for the following uses: Mountain Biking.” Can it be walked, either legally or stealthily? If so, would there be any reasonable way onward to a drive-able road for a couple of senior, not super strong hikers? (We would start well before dawn, to beat the heat.)

If that's out, as I suspect, what about the the Rincon OHV route, just to the south? If that one is walk-able or MTB-able, could we maybe take it to Van Tassell Cyn. or Mt. Bliss, and then to a shuttle vehicle?

Are there any other trails or fire breaks that might be useful? (Again, we’re not super adventurous and wouldn’t be up for miles of rough bushwhacking.)

Finally, I’m curious about the Bear Canyon Trail between (roughly) Rincon and Coldbrook. I found a few posts about it here but nothing recent. Is it open, not overgrown, and worth doing? It doesn’t really help with our east-west problem, but looks like it might be a fun extra hike before we move on from that area.

Thanks in advance.
HikeUp

Post by HikeUp »

Try Smith Mtn. - either from the 39 trailhead or Bear Cyn. if it is clear.
Taco

Post by Taco »

I've ridden Rincon and all of the roads that come off it except one going south dead ending above Arcadia. It is easily walkable, and I ride it on my bike which is more like a road bike with fat tires, so it's pretty chill. You could take that west to Mt Wilson. You would take the trail from the road to the top of Wilson, which is a bit overgrown and narrow for a bicycle (did that on a bike once, downhill eastbound).

Not sure how Bear would be after the fire. Probably pretty clear except for deadfall once it's 'open' in April, and then probably mega overgrown after rains.
dima

Post by dima »

You've ridden Rincon after the fire, or before?

David: I would expect the Bear Canyon trail IN THE CANYON to be hard-closed right now: the fire hit that drainage hard. Normally that trail is medium-overgrown, and crosses the creek constantly. From the Valley of the Moon trailhead on the 39 it maybe is open. Not super exciting, but connects to the ridge to Smith mth or the other way to the end of the driveable section of hwy 39.
Taco

Post by Taco »

I have not ridden in the closure area since the fire.
Sean

Post by Sean »

FYI - That whole area is closed. I don't recommend entering it, especially on a road that might be patrolled by rangers.
David Martin

Post by David Martin »

Thanks for all the replies. I should have done more research before posting here. I didn't realize that that southern front country area was part of the fire closure.

Maybe we'll just have to bike from 39 / East Fork through town to some trailhead past the closure area, and then continue on foot. I'll get busy with the maps and post here again when I have a better handle on things.
Taco

Post by Taco »

Well, hopefully it all opens in April and you'll be clear to move through there without worry.
David Martin

Post by David Martin »

Thanks but can't wait that long. If you see a guy riding down Foothill Blvd. next week on an orange/yellow road bike with 2 rear view mirrors, that'll be me.
Taco

Post by Taco »

I will holler!