Finding Boulders

Trip planning, history, announcements, books, movies, opinions, etc.
jeko1034

Post by jeko1034 »

Some of you may know me for finding mines in them mountains but now you will know me as the one searching for boulders!

My brother and I have been looking for big-ass boulders to climb on for a few years now. We tend to just look with binoculars or use Google maps to search remote canyons for some highballs. Was wondering if the community could point us in the right direction for some lost boulders in these hills?

Here are some ive already spotted with some aerial maps.
dima

Post by dima »

Have you actually tried to go out and climb something you found this way? Are you able to eyeball the rock and tell if it's going to be solid or not?
jeko1034

Post by jeko1034 »

dima wrote:Have you actually tried to go out and climb something you found this way? Are you able to eyeball the rock and tell if it's going to be solid or not?
We have been to a couple in a canyon by crystal lake which was super solid granite!

Haven't been to the ones in the photos yet though
Tom Kenney

Post by Tom Kenney »

The buttress rising from Deer Flat CG to Islip Ridge has always intrigued me.

Big Buck Road (4N24) passes a 'cliff band' at about the halfway mark, with some very interesting roadside stuff. Lots of hand- to offwidth-crack things that just invite the climber's eye, also good quality rock.
Sean

Post by Sean »

Sorry, man, I don't help boulderers. Just kidding, I'll look at my archive for remote spots. You like it smooth or rough?
Taco

Post by Taco »

I have some stuff listed near Crystal Lake on mountainproject. The big boulder is good, the others are small and probably not great for you.

The north side of the ridge south of 39, north of Smith has rock I haven’t climbed on yet. Looks cool, likely requires bushwhacking.

And of course there’s always Triplet Rocks.