SAR Seeking Help Identifying Location In Photo

Rescues, fires, weather, roads, trails, water, etc.
stonehillnews

Post by stonehillnews »

Anyone recognize location of this photo taken by hiker currently missing near Buckhorn? http://nixle.us/CNKDE

Anthony

Post by Anthony »

I'll look through my photo archive. Too bad the photo is so small.
Tom Kenney

Post by Tom Kenney »

Twin Peaks, maybe? This (image below) is the saddle between the two summits, at the 'split boulder' campsite, looking south into SG Wild.

HikeUp

Post by HikeUp »

They didn't say when that photo was sent to the caller (just says "earlier in the hike"). Might be helpful to know what time. If it was afternoon, he seems to be looking north-ish.

I will review my photos this evening.
David R

Post by David R »

I am pretty sure this is the ridge from Twin Peaks to Triplet. They ran a trace on the last phone call and it showed a similar location from where the call was made. It would also make sense to be able to get phone reception there.
Anthony

Post by Anthony »

David R wrote: I am pretty sure this is the ridge from Twin Peaks to Triplet. They ran a trace on the last phone call and it showed a similar location from where the call was made. It would also make sense to be able to get phone reception there.
That makes sense. I can't imagine there being reception north of the 2 if he took the Burkhardt Trail. He must've gone south?
David R

Post by David R »

Heard they found him and he's being flown out from someone connected with the search.
stonehillnews

Post by stonehillnews »

stonehillnews

Post by stonehillnews »

stonehillnews

Post by stonehillnews »

Anthony

Post by Anthony »

Glad they found them. Our SAR is great. So this guy attempted to hike Triplet Rocks solo?
dima

Post by dima »

So if he was on the Triplet ridge, then the photo is facing North? It sorta looks like two drainages are converging to the left, but I guess it's actually the opposite. Or is he not facing North?
HikeUp

Post by HikeUp »

dima wrote: So if he was on the Triplet ridge, then the photo is facing North? It sorta looks like two drainages are converging to the left, but I guess it's actually the opposite. Or is he not facing North?
Based on the coordinates shown in post#8 "possible location from photo", he was on the northside of the ridge.
dima

Post by dima »

I don't know how authoritative that "possible location" is. I suppose it is very possible :)
dima

Post by dima »

I just looked at the coords a bit more closely. He wasn't on Triplet ridge, I think. The twitter dude's photo match puts him on the next ridge to the North, approaching point 5461. He was going for a first ascent!
stonehillnews

Post by stonehillnews »

The coordinates on the screenshot labeled 920F should be pretty a reliable location of where he was found and hoisted out. I put it on a map https://sartopo.com/m/R02A
dima

Post by dima »

Ah, thanks for that. It wasn't clear which coords were which. He wasn't very far down that ridge. It still took a while to get there, probably!
AW~

Post by AW~ »

Anthony wrote: Glad they found them. Our SAR is great. So this guy attempted to hike Triplet Rocks solo?
They had the location....I dont know that anyone could have guessed better than air5 scanning the area.
The visibility must have played a key role, cause this guy is a moron.....seriously. You are lost and you take a selfie?
'Where is this?' Nobody recognizes his 'blurried lower body' I guess.

There was something he did right and that was stay put after that call. Which is to say he then found out that he was stable but had to stay put.
It is true that our SAR is good(rating drop)....but did he know that.....you or I know if were we were needing them, to stay put.
Where is his backpack/water?
Ze Hiker

Post by Ze Hiker »

But did he bag Triplet?
HikeUp

Post by HikeUp »

Ze Hiker wrote: But did he bag Triplet?
All heart!
AW~

Post by AW~ »

Supposedly he was short....at the top of the last gully, where you cant proceed straight down.
That chatter that someone helped in this doesnt help. It was like Stonehill said.
Which even if he gets it right he shouldnt brag about it...the SAR gets full credit.
He was as good as completely off, with his 3/4 mile as the crow flies..amateur...
I think this pretty much backfired as a tactic...as expected.
The point of SAR being proficient is not some game of 'wheres this' or who can bring the least info on their location to the table.
Ze Hiker

Post by Ze Hiker »

AW~ wrote:
Supposedly he was short....at the top of the last gully, where you cant proceed straight down.
Where exactly?

You mean where you can't proceed down the ridge and have to go down the last brush filled gully?
Tom Kenney

Post by Tom Kenney »

dima wrote: ...puts him on the next ridge to the North, approaching point 5461. He was going for a first ascent!
With certain...um...objective hazards (*cough*buckthorn*cough*) conveniently reduced at the moment, sounds like faultless logic. :P
AW~

Post by AW~ »

Ze Hiker wrote:
AW~ wrote:
Where exactly?
Well ...cant answer that. Sue me :-)
I lost interest in it since it is an SAR.....people are all interest in the fake epic im more interested in the survival side. You know they say there is this all interest and hardly an interest in lessons.
AW~

Post by AW~ »

The more I find out about this guy the less I like....if it ends up he was chasing dragons...aka the orange county guy.
All I know is I opened a intro Facebook page of this Rene Compean and its says "Indian Land....I hunger for justice and equality for all, openness of mind and spirituality."

Hmmm....maybe Montrose Search and Rescue is dumber than I thought.
Uncle Rico

Post by Uncle Rico »

Read that this guy claimed to have seen a bear and a mountain lion during his, er, ordeal.

I call bullshit on that. While it's theoretically possible, a guy that gets lost on the Mt. Waterman trail has zero outdoor credibility as far as I'm concerned.

Oh, and he's potentially facing 6 months in jail and a $10k fine for entering the Bobcat closure area.
stonehillnews

Post by stonehillnews »

AW~

Post by AW~ »

It was way worse than that. Remember all of this started on the buckhorn trail. Well, actually it started on the sar trail to celebrity-dom.
There is "when that guy died"...that is bandied around, but when the sar became politicized is what has happened.

But yeah, he was headed to Buckhorm......didnt make it. Ya know its the fault of the fact that its not clearly signed....hehehe could have messed with the media. Mr. Lions and bears oh my! could have said dragons and Jesus.....with the media saying cut cut cut. More amateur guy lol....more idiot Sar guy..

Its got me wondering if an era is over. There have been a lot of retirements.....and I am replaying the 'good times'. My first encounter with SAR, was a no nonsense type of guy. When we got to the heli, he 'disappeared'....was on the skiff looking out. He was looking out for others. Intense guy.....they werent all like him, but I was impressed right away. I cried is the only way to say it. Its that way when you meet people like that. Its startling that people risk their lives for others who are walking in the woods.

I guarantee its not for this....playing politics, settling for dumb dumb...aka the brand. What people dont know is air 5 is caught up in LA budget battles. Defund the police so they say fine we will defund air 5, a popular item.
Sean

Post by Sean »

This guy should build an altar to the SAR gods. When you're lost take a pic of the ridgelines, not your feet.