Trash day

Trip planning, history, announcements, books, movies, opinions, etc.
JeffH

Post by JeffH »

I walked up Potato Mountain again yesterday and brought a couple trash bags this time. There were so many taters on the water tank I couldn’t fit them into a bag. I took what I could and filled another bag with random trash from along the route. Surprisingly the trash wasn’t excessive. However, I do have a problem with the dog owners - it’s great to put the shit into a bag, not cool to leave that bag alongside the trail or tucked under a bush.

Nice group of Live Oaks at the beginning of the road. I always feel better in their midst.

Summit from the three-way intersection/saddle.

Lots of taters on top.

This is no longer on the trail. It was a good 10 pounds of spuds.
"Argue for your limitations and sure enough they're yours".
Donald Shimoda
HikeUp

Post by HikeUp »

JeffH wrote: There were so many taters on the water tank I couldn’t fit them into a bag. I took what I could...
Why did you take the taters?
JeffH

Post by JeffH »

Because they don't belong up there either. A couple years ago it was just a couple potatoes, now I took maybe a quarter of them and there is still a huge pile on the water tank.
Donald Shimoda
HikeUp

Post by HikeUp »

Do animals in the San Gabes have tater-intolerance?
Sean
Cucamonga

Post by Sean »

Remember, finders keepers, losers weepers. I count about 30 potatoes in your haul. Challenge accepted!
tekewin

Post by tekewin »

Thanks for hauling out trash.
Girl Hiker

Post by Girl Hiker »

You love potato mountain :)
JeffH

Post by JeffH »

Girl Hiker wrote: You love potato mountain :)
Actually it's just really close for me. About 15 miles round trip if I walk from home, nine miles RT if I park at the lower Wilderness Park lot. I also walk the WP a lot, just not worth a trip report every time I go there.
Donald Shimoda
wesweswes

Post by wesweswes »

I really appreciate your picking up trash from the wilderness, and do this too incidentally. I have to start bringing a bag to collect it though--that's a great idea.

I was just trying to figure out, though, why not leave the potatoes there? I mean, throw them off the side of the hill, or bury them. It's organic matter and will decompose (more so if buried), and as long as it is out of sight it's not an eye sore. Or is there some concern about them becoming invasive?
JeffH

Post by JeffH »

It's not that they will become invasive - but they are not native to the area and therefore probably not good for the local wildlife. I have the same complaint about tossing orange/banana peels.
And they really don't belong up there along with other trash.
Donald Shimoda