Name a trail in good condition weekend of 19 Jan 2019

Rescues, fires, weather, roads, trails, water, etc.
Slowest_Hiker

Post by Slowest_Hiker »

I see that the rain did a number on the Mt Wilson trail and the Nat'l Weather Service is is citing 10.27 inches of rain over 5 days at Camp Hi Hill near Red Box, so I suspect a lot of trails in our crumbly mountains are messed up. We're not really scramblers, so is anyone aware of a trail that is in good shape after all that?
Sean
Cucamonga

Post by Sean »

Slowest_Hiker wrote:We're not really scramblers, so is anyone aware of a trail that is in good shape after all that?
I just surveyed some trails in Altadena. The Rubio and Millard areas got hit pretty bad. Lots of slides covering or wiping out trailbeds. You might try the fire road to Lukens from Angeles Crest Station. Or another heavily used fire road in the front range. Or supported singletracks like the Lower Merrill.
Slowest_Hiker

Post by Slowest_Hiker »

Thanks for the ideas. Lukens was intriguing because somehow I've never gotten there, but we didn't get the earliest start and so opted for out the front door and up to Sturtevant Falls. I'll keep the Lukens option in mind, though.
Uncle Rico

Post by Uncle Rico »

FWIW, the Colby Canyon trail is in good shape. There is a downed tree on the lower section before you transition over into the Daisy Canyon drainage, but it is easily by-passed.
bcrowell

Post by bcrowell »

Thanks for posting about the Wilson trail. By the way, if you want to help out financially with maintenance on that trail, you can donate to the Fletcher Fund.

By check: Sierra Madre Community Foundation, PO Box 716, Sierra Madre, CA 91025

Online: http://sierramadrefoundation.org/smcf/donations/

Include a note saying it's for the Fletcher Fund (Wilson trail).