Have you forest bathed? (Not what you think)

Trip planning, history, announcements, books, movies, opinions, etc.
Slowest_Hiker

Post by Slowest_Hiker »

Apparently when summiting Baldy last weekend, I was too actively participating in nature and not following the latest health trend of ... well anyway. :q27:

http://mashable.com/2017/07/17/forest-b ... xNnUgPjPqW
AW~

Post by AW~ »

I think its called "recreation" in America lol.
Sean

Post by Sean »

Sounds like an activity for pretentious workaholics with stress problems. They pretend to immerse themselves in nature during short walks in man-made urban parks, when really they hope to extract health benefits from smelling cedars. I guess they don't have a lumber store nearby. Or, they're too lazy to order some cedarwood oil from Amazon.
AW~

Post by AW~ »

Could watch NatGeo in slow-mo too....it'll have the same lasting power as this sales push by the outdoors media lackeys.
JeffH

Post by JeffH »

What is the difference between hiking, meandering and going for a walk? Interesting that when I just looked at the video, one of the advertisements below was for something called Scamalot.
"Argue for your limitations and sure enough they're yours".
Donald Shimoda
Sean

Post by Sean »

JeffH wrote: What is the difference between hiking, meandering and going for a walk?
Adventurers hike. Non-adventurers walk. And zombies meander.
JeffH

Post by JeffH »

Sean wrote:
Adventurers hike. Non-adventurers walk. And zombies meander.
Whew, thanks for that. I've always considered myself a hiker, although when I tell people that the most common belief seems to be that I'm out there with a rope, crampons, ice walls etc. At that point I tell them I just walk. Long distances. And carry all my stuff on my back.
Donald Shimoda
JeffH

Post by JeffH »

Today's LA Times has a full article on forest bathing, called "Awash in the Woods". It's way too new-age for me. Perhaps if I tried meditation at all then doing it in the woods might be fun but I actually like to look around while I'm out there.
Donald Shimoda
Sean

Post by Sean »

JeffH wrote: Today's LA Times has a full article on forest bathing, called "Awash in the Woods".
This one?

It doesn't have the same title online.

Favorite quote:
“You’re really looking at it and you’re saying, ‘There’s just so much here, there’s so much I’ve been missing. How have I been alive for so long and yet this tree is kind of blowing my mind?’”
star-wars-weed.jpg
JeffH

Post by JeffH »

Sean wrote:
JeffH wrote: Today's LA Times has a full article on forest bathing, called "Awash in the Woods".
This one?

It doesn't have the same title online.

Favorite quote:
“You’re really looking at it and you’re saying, ‘There’s just so much here, there’s so much I’ve been missing. How have I been alive for so long and yet this tree is kind of blowing my mind?’”

Same picture, different title, that online article is dated August 1. I don’t think they put stuff online before the print editions. Of course, I don’t actually get the print edition but subscribe online.
Donald Shimoda
AW~

Post by AW~ »

yeah, the arboretum is the place. I was there last year for the plumeria society and got to spend some time there in the 'forest'.
Of course, I knew it wasnt real and I was in a zoo....but you dont want to be that kind of rude in that place lol.
For example, I noticed there supposedly wasnt anything 'ugly' there, but sure enough some ants managed to invade the holiness of the permanent forest....more spray needed to keep it coffeeshop white.
And not to ding the employees, but there was a slight fault in the covered otherwise unseen, thus not there ,irrigation system....granted it was off-road.
Other than that, the fake creek was smartly camouflaged,etc....I was wondering if there should have been a sign to not drink the water, but...
And yet there is a section of the place that is rare, and that is it probably has the OG San Gabriel oak vegetation and so we see what was destroyed to build the zoo.
Heavily overgrown(next to homes too) but still there, and as ugly as ever :) You wont see that section suggested in Modern Hiker.
Sean

Post by Sean »

AW wrote:yeah, the arboretum is the place. I was there last year for the plumeria society and got to spend some time there in the 'forest'.
Oh, man, that's hilarious! We should all dress up in full bushwhacking mode and go crash their "forest bathing" party at the arboretum. Let's show them what bathing in the forest really looks like.
AW~

Post by AW~ »

Sean wrote:

Oh, man, that's hilarious! We should all dress up in full bushwhacking mode and go crash their "forest bathing" party at the arboretum. Let's show them what bathing in the forest really looks like.
I appreciate the Arboretum lol. Impressive plumeria grove now too hehehe. BTW, as far as bushwacking there, I do believe they spotted a one Tarzan and tossed him out of the 'jungle'? Luckily Hollywood was able to capture the footage!
tekewin

Post by tekewin »

$35 to walk into a fake forest and smell the arranged vegetation? How is this a thing?

I think of forest bathing as bushwhacking through a wild canyon or clogged ridge until you and the forest smell the same.

Modern Hiker would happily write up this "hike" as long as he load the page with advertising:
"Our Editor has more than 14 years experience working with product integration and sponsorship messaging on nationally broadcast television and we can suit almost any brand’s promotional needs. We have a variety of options and are open to brainstorming new and creative ideas with you!"
Sean

Post by Sean »

tekewin wrote:I think of forest bathing as bushwhacking through a wild canyon or clogged ridge until you and the forest smell the same.
Don't be such a "serious nature person"!

HikeUp

Post by HikeUp »

You're not one with nature until you've taken a shit in the woods.
JeffH

Post by JeffH »

HikeUp wrote:You're not one with nature until you've taken a shit in the woods.
I have that book! It’s on my shelf along with Robinson and Schad.
Donald Shimoda
HikeUp

Post by HikeUp »

LOL. I bought my dad that book when he retired and moved from the city to a ranch.
Uncle Rico

Post by Uncle Rico »

"...two-hour forest bathing class"
"...certified forest therapy guides"
"...association of forest therapy guides"
"...because maybe I had never seen a tree before"
"...$25 for Arboretum members, $35 for non-members"
"...Pre-registration is required"

Gosh.jpg