John W. Robinson

Rescues, fires, weather, roads, trails, water, etc.
Uncle Rico

Post by Uncle Rico »

I saw on IG that legendary San Gabes historian John W. Robinson has passed away. Can anyone confirm? Very sad if true. A Google search brings up nothing.
jeko1034

Post by jeko1034 »

Uncle Rico wrote:I saw on IG that legendary San Gabes historian John W. Robinson has passed away. Can anyone confirm? Very sad if true. A Google search brings up nothing.
Paul Ayers posted it. I have many of his books :( rest in peace.
David R

Post by David R »

>We have just learned via an acquaintance that author, historian, and legendary hiker John W. Robinson passed away earlier this week in Colorado.

From Modern Hiker on Facebook today. Without Robinson I would've never explored the San Gabriels in the way that I did. I remember when my friend gave me the book, it literally changed my thoughts on what hiking was. I almost always hiked solo and his book gave me the confidence to get out there. His influence will live long after his passing.
Sean

Post by Sean »

Author Steve Lech in Riverside might be the original source for this. He does not say how he found out. There appears to be no obituary yet.

Screenshot_20180426-222306.png
missy

Post by missy »

Hello,

I was informed earlier that morning via my site. I exchanged emails with an Eric Plunkett, who verified Robinson’s death. He is an acquaintance and his friend Phil Brigandi (another local historian) is a close friend of Robinson’s. I then subsequently told Modern Hiker. I’m not sure where this Paul Ayers guy got his info. But I’ve attached the email screenshots. Also read these beautiful obituaries posted on the Angeles Chapter of Sierra Club!! By Bob Cates: https://angeles.sierraclub.org/news/blo ... and_author
By Glen Pascall: https://angeles.sierraclub.org/news/blo ... d_backyard
367E85DD-FC95-40B5-95EE-37D98BBCC530.jpeg
6FAA25F0-43E4-4079-8947-BBEA1E3F0933.png
Sean

Post by Sean »

missy wrote:Hello, I was informed earlier that morning via my site.
Thank you, Missy. Paul told me that he heard about Mr. Robinson from a friend. I think it's odd that apparently no paper has run an obituary yet. I have checked the regular sites, including the Denver Post and LA Times.
Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

Truly sad news. Truly. I have at least 5 of his books and several editions of Trails of the Angeles.

HJ