Pt. 7465

Trip planning, history, announcements, books, movies, opinions, etc.
Uncle Rico

Post by Uncle Rico »

Anyone been out to Pt. 7465? From a search, it looks like Hike Up got close and Sean and Cecelia have been to Chalk Peak (Pt. 6089), but I don't see anything on this site (or anywhere else) talking about Pt. 7465. Approaching from Telegraph's east ridge looks feasible on paper. Climbing back up to 8325 afterward might suck.

Anyone?
dima

Post by dima »

RIco's talking about this: https://caltopo.com/map.html#ll=34.2640 ... 7&z=15&b=t

And I haven't been there.
HikeUp

Post by HikeUp »

That's the one point that I would really really love to get to. The ridge from Telegraph to it looks like a fun stroll, but obviously the return trip must be considered...all with just the water on your back. I can't imagine any source along that route.

The brute force short way would be from Chalk. Looks steep and brushy. Never got motivated to even try to get to Chalk :)

The eastern approach looks like pure hell.

The appeal is to be at the top of the chalky cliffs just to the North of the peak. Sean approached these cliffs from the north and got much further up than I did in my efforts. I called it Chalk Canyon but I think Sean knows what it is really called.

I bet there have been plenty of hunters that have made it there.
HikeUp

Post by HikeUp »

Let me add that the ridge from Telegraph over to 8325 was described to me as very "airy". I think Taco told me about it when we chatted a long time ago during a chance meeting on Mt. Baldy.
HikeUp

Post by HikeUp »

My attempt started at Middle Fork Trail, headed up a drainage but got stopped at the falls (thumbtack on picture below).

Pictures of that attempt...https://www.flickr.com/photos/hikeup_pa ... 489128659/
uuu.png
HikeUp

Post by HikeUp »

Frankly I think you guys would have the skills to get up there.
HikeUp

Post by HikeUp »

I have quite a few pictures of the east/southeast approaches from Middle Fork to the point so if you have a specific area you want to see let me know and I might have a pic.
headsizeburrito

Post by headsizeburrito »

I looked at 7465 from Cucamonga on Thursday (was exploring Cucamonga Canyon from above and got turned back, so made a quick trip to the summit while I was close, still need to put together a report) and wondered about it.

Following the ridge from Telegraph out and back certainly looks like the simplest way, but where is the fun in that? Plus I've spent too much time around Icehouse Canyon recently. Getting up to Chalk sounds like a brushy mess from reports by Sean and Bob Burd, but would involve a smaller chance of dying than the routes in your photos, HikeUp. From looking at the map I was thinking about gaining the ridge east of that waterfall that turned you back, but it looks like you tried something similar. What happened there? Out of time or didn't look feasible?

I've never been to Lytle Creek before and have been meaning to get there (one more for the list!) but this sounds like a fun challenge to check out. Anyone know what the current condition of Middle Fork Road is to the trailhead? I seem to recall people saying it wasn't in great shape.
HikeUp

Post by HikeUp »

headsizeburrito wrote: From looking at the map I was thinking about gaining the ridge east of that waterfall that turned you back, but it looks like you tried something similar. What happened there? Out of time or didn't look feasible?
Gaining that ridge was plan B and it was beyond my scrambling abilities. This is a view looking straight North from pt. 5610. Approaching that ridge from the far far right looks like brush hell.

IMG_6521.jpg
HikeUp

Post by HikeUp »

Panning left (west)...
IMG_6512.jpg
HikeUp

Post by HikeUp »

panning left (west)...waterfalls center bottom
IMG_6513.jpg
HikeUp

Post by HikeUp »

here is a view of the area looking from elevation 5200 on the south side of Middle fork. Pt 5610 is on the right...

IMG_7175.jpg
HikeUp

Post by HikeUp »

panning left (west). I think our goal is center...
IMG_7174.jpg
HikeUp

Post by HikeUp »

panning left toward telegraph...
IMG_7173.jpg
HikeUp

Post by HikeUp »

hope that helps.
Sean

Post by Sean »

I'll see what I have on this tomorrow. Busy tonight. Via Telegraph East Ridge might be the easiest route. There is a pretty sweet use/animal trail on that ridge, but I'm not sure how long it stays nice, as I didn't go all the way. Timber Gulch is the route to Chalk, which was a bit crazy but not super dangerous. Grizzly Gulch is the dangerous route, but you might be able to bail and head up a ridge or tributary system from inside Grizzly.
headsizeburrito

Very helpful pics, thanks!

The scramble north from there definitely looks tough. I see a line that might be doable, but I wouldn't be too surprised if once you get there it's too slippery with loose soil and fine gravel in key steep sections. I certainly wouldn't want to go back down that way from how it looks in your photos, I think it would be best as a loop going over Telegraph and back down by the Middle Fork Trail.

Next week I don't have time for a long day, but maybe the week after. The to do list is constantly growing...
HikeUp

Post by HikeUp »

"I certainly wouldn't want to go back down that way"

This +100.

I tried to scramble up it and not having a plausible way out if I made it up, I sorta only gave it a half hearted effort. Plus it was very loose, slippery and crumbly. Not the best stuff to climb and not possible to downclimb safely with the dropoffs on either side.
HikeUp

Post by HikeUp »

Here's some pics of 7465' from the trail between Icehouse Saddle and Cucamonga...
IMG_5608.jpg
IMG_5609.jpg
IMG_5610.jpg
IMG_5619.jpg
HikeUp

Post by HikeUp »

Look forward to seeing your TR for this. Have fun and be safe.
Uncle Rico

Post by Uncle Rico »

Thanks for all the great info Hike Up. Those pics from between Icehouse and Cucamonga are really helpful.
Following the ridge from Telegraph out and back certainly looks like the simplest way, but where is the fun in that?
Burrito Man- easy for you is probably a good day for me. Fun for you is probably dangerously impossible for me. Lol.

I'll give the east ridge a go in early May. To the extent Google Earth can be trusted, the entire ridge looks easily traversable as does the drop from 8325 to 7465.

If this link works, here's the view looking east from Telegraph which is at the center-bottom of the image.

https://earth.app.goo.gl/WAhGv
HikeUp

Post by HikeUp »

Looking Northeast from Telegraph towards 8540 and 8325...
IMG_1672.jpg
Sean

Post by Sean »

Uncle Rico wrote: Anyone been out to Pt. 7465?
I went out to Pt. 8325 from Telegraph. The tricky part was right at the start, getting off Telegraph Peak. Going straight down the main NE ridge is doable but rough. There is an easier way if you drop down the SE slope/ridge for about 250 feet and then look for a use/animal track contouring back over to the main ridge.

Telegraph East Ridge Use Path.jpg

After that the ridge flattens for a stretch before Pt. 8540.

Between Telegraph and 8540.JPG

Pt 8540 and 7465.jpg

Beyond 8540 it drops gently to Pt. 8325.

Pts 8325 and 7465.jpg

Pt 8540 and Telegraph.JPG

This is the summit of 8325.

Summit 8325.JPG

There was a post and a cairn up there. And this was the view along the ridge toward Pt. 7465, which couldn't really be seen through the trees.

Looking east from 8325.JPG

Here is a cropped image of 7465 and the headwall of Grizzly Gulch.

Pt 7465 and Grizzly Gulch.JPG

I imagine there should be an amazing view looking down into the gulch from that ridgeline.
HikeUp

Post by HikeUp »

Sean wrote: I imagine there should be an amazing view looking down into the gulch from that ridgeline.
+100
Uncle Rico

Post by Uncle Rico »

Those are actually very helpful pics Sean. Thanks. That immediate drop off Telegraph must be the "airy" section Hike Up was referring to earlier in the thread.
headsizeburrito

Made it to 7465 and Telegraph from Middle Fork Lytle Creek, then down via Icehouse Saddle and Middle Fork Trail today. Might take a day or two to get a trip report up, but here is a teaser.

There was a summit register there placed by Sierra Club in 1966! Only a few entries and the last one was 1993! It was in remarkably good shape given the age, I signed it (plugging this EisPiraten and /r/socalhiking) and put the whole thing in a ziplock bag for a little extra protection.

7465register.jpg

It was a really fun day and a cool find, thanks to Uncle Rico for the inspriation and sorry for swiping your chance to be the one to rediscover the register!
Sean

Post by Sean »

Mr. Fink also beat us to 6306. He got around and had a peak named after him.

Uncle Rico

Post by Uncle Rico »

thanks to Uncle Rico for the inspriation and sorry for swiping your chance to be the one to rediscover the register!
Ain't no thing burrito. I've got no proprietary claim on 7465. Looking forward to your TR.
headsizeburrito