Cougar, bobcat, coyotes, and a turkey vulture

Poppies & cougars & shrooms, oh my!
tekewin

Post by tekewin »

I hit the motherlode with my trailcam earlier this month at a watering hole in the Santa Ana Mountains. I'm getting a little better at picking locations and angles, though I still have a lot to learn. Since there are no bears in the Santa Anas, the cougar is the apex predator. All of these photos were within a two week period. I love the coloration on the bobcat. I am moving my camera to a different part of the forest to get more footage of different lion, then will be tempted to be put it back here.

Rawr!

Birds need water, too.

The bobcat and coyotes were active day and night.

dima

Post by dima »

Wow! The spotted-leopard-looking thing is a bobcat? And you got a mountain lion? These are REALLY good! Is there anything special about this site? Is it a water source?
tekewin

Post by tekewin »

dima wrote: Wow! The spotted-leopard-looking thing is a bobcat? And you got a mountain lion? These are REALLY good! Is there anything special about this site? Is it a water source?
It's a fine looking bobcat. This spot is a watering hole just off a trail. The pool there is about 4'x8' and camera is aimed at the small clearing just above it.

This is from a month ago when the water was more visible. It's dried up a little since then.

Sean

Post by Sean »

If I ever go insane, I'll probably decide to live in the forest with a family of bobcats. Then you'll probably catch me on your cam drinking from that puddle.