East Ridge of Mount Russell via North Fork Lone Pine Creek

Archived TRs for Sierra Nevada ranges.
_kick_rocks_

Post by _kick_rocks_ »

Damn, its been a while since I've been able to write anything new here. But I've definitely been creepin' on y'all. Just wanna say thanks for the inspiration again and again and again you guys.

I was really pumped to find this sticker atop Mount Russell tagged on the bottom of the register. TR link down below.

East Ridge of Mount Russell via North Fork Lone Pine Creek
Sean
Cucamonga

Post by Sean »

Awesome report! Get more sleep next time!
Edward

Post by Edward »

Impressive trip report and photos. Particularly impressive doing it this late in the year in one day.

It is truly a far better climb than Whitney by the trail or the Mountaineer's Route, as are many others, as you note. Unfortunately, I had to sit on Russell-Carillon Col with a dislocated shoulder while the rest of my group scrambled up Russell. This was many years ago, leaving Russell on a to-do list which was never completed.

The Ebersbacher Ledges always made me nervous, particular done with a fully-loaded external frame pack and no trekking poles, which is the way I always did them. I wonder why you had helmets, given that you said you packed light. While a helmet has value in a chute, I don't think it has much value climbing a Class 3 ridge, particularly unroped. And even in a chute, my main reason for wearing a helmet would be people above me dislodging rocks, which you don't expect on the less-climbed routes.
tekewin

Post by tekewin »

Great photos and an impressive time. The view from that ridge is incredible. Congrats on bagging Russell!
_kick_rocks_

Post by _kick_rocks_ »

Sean wrote: Awesome report! Get more sleep next time!

Will do. I think driving out at 4am to meet with David at the Visitors Center the day before was the mistake. Definitely not getting drunk the night before the climb. 8)
_kick_rocks_

Post by _kick_rocks_ »

Ed wrote: Impressive trip report and photos. Particularly impressive doing it this late in the year in one day.

It is truly a far better climb than Whitney by the trail or the Mountaineer's Route, as are many others, as you note. Unfortunately, I had to sit on Russell-Carillon Col with a dislocated shoulder while the rest of my group scrambled up Russell. This was many years ago, leaving Russell on a to-do list which was never completed.

The Ebersbacher Ledges always made me nervous, particular done with a fully-loaded external frame pack and no trekking poles, which is the way I always did them. I wonder why you had helmets, given that you said you packed light. While a helmet has value in a chute, I don't think it has much value climbing a Class 3 ridge, particularly unroped. And even in a chute, my main reason for wearing a helmet would be people above me dislodging rocks, which you don't expect on the less-climbed routes.

Thanks for the kudos Ed!

Dislocated Shoulder, damn! I don't think I could pull off a few of those moves passed the East Ridge with that kind of injury. That's too bad. I know exactly how that feels being halted twice by the snowy conditions shown in the report, and again by icy snowmelt and nightfall.. Thats exactly the reason we came back to do it in a day. There really isn't much to do at Upper Boyscout after hanging around the North Fork 4 times including a trip up to Whitney. We came for one reason.

As for the Helmets, I totally agree on everything you stated. The pictures in the report feature everyone but myself. I only brought a hat for sun protection, two long sleeve dri fit layers, running shorts, some dirty girl gaiters, a non insulated wind hoodie, and a bandana (which ended up being used as a face mask for the majority of the trek). But then I ended up cold as hell.
_kick_rocks_

Post by _kick_rocks_ »

tekewin wrote: Great photos and an impressive time. The view from that ridge is incredible. Congrats on bagging Russell!

Thank you! That section was too short lived. I feel like I could have enjoyed it more. It was hard switching over from the "get it done" attitude on the sections we had already done so many times, to a more savory hiker style.

Reason enough to go back, but probably not for another few years.
Uncle Rico

Post by Uncle Rico »

Nice
_kick_rocks_

Post by _kick_rocks_ »

psykokid

Post by psykokid »

Nice TR! Russell is on my list of peaks I still need to hit.

My trip up Shepherds Pass was supposed to be a xc peakbagging adventure starting with Tyndall and ending with Muir Peak hitting Willi, Trojan, Barnard, Russell and Whitney in between. My hiking partner wasn't up to the task so we just rolled with it since we were up there.
_kick_rocks_

Post by _kick_rocks_ »

psykokid wrote: Nice TR! Russell is on my list of peaks I still need to hit.

My trip up Shepherds Pass was supposed to be a xc peakbagging adventure starting with Tyndall and ending with Muir Peak hitting Willi, Trojan, Barnard, Russell and Whitney in between. My hiking partner wasn't up to the task so we just rolled with it since we were up there.

Thank you! Its definitely a good one. That xc trip you are talking about sounds tough. borderline not fun! The Sierras are soo big it intimidates me to think of doing cross country jams out there...then again, at least you dont need to worry about chapparral