High Sierra Trail to Hamilton Lakes

Archived TRs for Sierra Nevada ranges.
Uncle Rico

Post by Uncle Rico »

This report is a bit tardy, but last month two of my kids and me spent a couple of days in Sequoia National Park on a backpack trip along a portion of the High Sierra Trail from Crescent Meadow to the Hamilton Lakes and back. Pics (taken by my kids--I didn't have my camera) and report here:

http://wildsouthland.blogspot.com/2016/ ... trail.html

Super nice country. Looking forward to going back and spending more time there.

Again, sorry for the ginormous sample images.

Girl Hiker

Post by Girl Hiker »

Ginormous is good! brings out the beautiful colors in your pics and they are great! I enjoyed reading your trip report :)
Girl Hiker

Post by Girl Hiker »

PSSSSS
I Would love to climb the Watchtower! It looks freakin awesome!

AW~

Post by AW~ »

Impressive tr!(as usual)

The trees....they wont be able to thin them for much longer as a spotted owl was just classified as endangered by the state. A whole saga there, with much the same themes as here in the SGs.

Anyways, good to see you got a special time of just chillin family style....how did u manage the water? Filter from the lake? Hehehe, I wonder if I could sleep on that lake :)
Uncle Rico

Post by Uncle Rico »

I enjoyed reading your trip report
Thank you kind lady. :D
I Would love to climb the Watchtower!
I believe that is possible. You can access it from the south side by way of the trail to Heather Lake out of Wolverton.

http://caltopo.com/map.html#ll=36.60642 ... 5&z=15&b=t
Uncle Rico

Post by Uncle Rico »

Anyways, good to see you got a special time of just chillin family style....how did u manage the water?
Thanks Canyon Man. It was a good trip. I pumped water, but my MSR Sweetwater broke on the last day. Thus my other post asking about water purification systems. Ended up picking up a Katedyn Hiker Pro ala Mad Max and JeffH. I was gonna try your DIY kit but got scared. :shock:
psykokid

Post by psykokid »

Thanks for the TR, looks like you had a nice hike with the kids! I wanted to do pretty much the same out and back you did but venture a bit further up the trail to Precipice Lake. Alas, was not in the cards this summer.
Uncle Rico

Post by Uncle Rico »

psykokid wrote: I wanted to do pretty much the same out and back you did but venture a bit further up the trail to Precipice Lake. Alas, was not in the cards this summer.
Yeah, we thought about going to Precipice as a day hike. But that 2,000 foot climb dissuaded us (or at least me).
JeffH

Post by JeffH »

That's an awesome trip with the kids. Pics look great, this trail is definitely on my list of things to do in the Sierras.
"Argue for your limitations and sure enough they're yours".
Donald Shimoda