Santa Rosa Island, Channel Islands NP w/ my 3 1/2 yo son

Archived TRs for ranges in California.
tarol

Post by tarol »

I spent 3 days on glorious Santa Rosa Island last weekend with my son - here is the trip report and photos :)

http://www.tarol.com/channel_islands3.html
jfr

Post by jfr »

Thanks for the great TR, Tarol! That son of yours sure is getting big.

I once anchored in Bechers Bay in a friend's sailboat, and it was windy. We had 35 knot gusts all night long, and it was amazing that the anchor didn't drag. And that's why I wasn't surprised to see those excellent wind shelters at the campground. In fact, the channel between Santa Rosa and Santa Cruz Islands is one of the windiest spots out there. We never actually landed on the island, so now I'm jealous.

Anyway, I'm from San Diego, not far from the other set of Torrey Pines, and ours aren't doing so well these days thanks to the drought and to some nasty invasive beetles. I sure hope those beetles don't get out there.
My hiking trip reports: https://hikingtales.com/
tarol

Post by tarol »

I didn't know the Torrey Pines in La Jolla weren't doing well, sorry to hear that :( I've been hiking there several times, the last time with my son when he was about 10 months old.

Santa Rosa is definitely worth the effort and wind - it felt much more wild than Santa Cruz, in a good way.
Uncle Rico

Post by Uncle Rico »

Nice one tarol. I'd like to get out to Santa Rosa for a few nights, but I guess I'll now have to wait until 2016. No more crossing this year according to Island Packers. You must have caught one of the last rides out for 2015.
Sean
Cucamonga

Post by Sean »

Thanks. That's a very cool trip. I visited that island on a day trip once and met a guy who paddled in his kayak from the mainland.